Walther LGR Cocking

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hensor

Walther LGR Cocking

Post by hensor »

Hi,

I've just finished refurbing a Walther LGR and am very happy with it :) . It's shooting hole on hole at 550fps.....

The only problem I have is that it is hard to cock. I know later models had a different piston with disc springs in it (which I fitted as part of the refurb), but were there any others changes for the "easy to cock" versions ?
Jim E

Re: Walther LGR Cocking

Post by Jim E »

The amount of energy needed to cock all of the SSP match air rifle are very similar. The LGR compression stroke is just in the opposite direction from the later versions such as the FWB 600;s, Anschutz Super Air models, Steyr's and later versions of Walther.

If you want a really easy match air rifle to cock, get a FWB 300S --- in requires ~1/3 the effort of the SSP models.
scrane

Post by scrane »

Yes, the LGR is a beast to cock. It requires the most effort at the point where the effort is hardest to give. As Jim remarked, the effort to cock the FWB springer is negligible in comparison. It can be easily cocked while sitting on bags.
Interestingly, the perceived recoil from the 300s is less than that from the LGR. Triggers are comparable, and both guns exhibit the highest quality in design, and manufacture.
hensor

Post by hensor »

I have now found though that a quick squirt of silicone based lubricant onto the back of the piston makes a lot of difference though....