Thoughts on shooting coats

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

alanms

Thoughts on shooting coats

Post by alanms »

Hello all,
I was thinking of getting a new shooting coat and was looking for some feedback. I currently use an old Champions Choice ISU leather coat, but the fit isn't quite right. I've looked at the Anschutz ISU leather from Creedmore and also the Gehmann 418 leather. both look like good coats and are in my price range. Does anyone out there have experience with either one? I can't afford the custom stuff like Thune,Kustermann etc. I do want to stick with a leather as opposed to canvas though. Any opinions/advice or recommendations would be welcome.
Thanks!
spektr

Re: Thoughts on shooting coats

Post by spektr »

You might look into finding a local guy that repairs Motorcycle Racing Leathers andseeif the fit can be improved... Just watch the rules and you might get exactly what u wish...
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Alan,
I have used the Creedmoor/Anschutz ISU jacket for about ten years in smallbore prone and position as well as high power.
It is good value for money. I am on my second one probably because I shoot an average of three days a week year round.
Make sure they tailor the sleeves to your length before you have it shipped. They don't always work on jackets that are not their manufacture.
Best,
Hap
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

A couple of club members have the Gehmann 418. For the money it's a good jacket. The leather appears to be of good quality, as is the construction. The only complaint I have is that the elbow rubber isn't top grip; it's the slightly harder stuff that wears sooner.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

I've had a Monard Standard for the past 7 years. It's been good but I'm now waiting on a new Sauer. A teammate has one and the suede in the right shoulder is a really nice. Doesn't bunch up under the buttplate like leather can.
LennyLames

Post by LennyLames »

I have the Creedmoor "AHG-ANSCHUTZ LEATHER ISU SHOOTING COAT." One of the reasons I picked it is non-functional: it does not have any bright, gaudy colors.

The item description does state "ISU" and not "ISSF." One of the recent rule changes is that "The construction of the side panel may not place any seam or seams under the elbow of the support arm in the standing position within a seam-free zone that extends 70 mm above the tip of the elbow and 20 mm below the tip of the elbow... This jacket complies with that rule as there is no seam under the support arm. I did check with Creedmoor before I ordered it.

My body proportion is quite regular, so the only adjustments I had to do were in installing the buttons, making sure I do not exceed overlap requirements, and provide enough slack. The size that I ordered matched my usual off-the-shelf suit jacket size. If I had ordered the next smaller size, it would've been too tight. Next higher size would not have provided sufficient support and would've been too long for rules compliance.

Overall a very good jacket, and appears to be well made, supports well, comfortable, and very reasonably priced. Disclaimer: I've never had a custom-made shooting jacket. The Creedmoor AHG-Anschutz Canvas And Leather model is even less expensive, but recall what I mentioned above regarding colors. The canvas and leather model is described as "provides maximum support" but when queried, Creedmoor claimed that both models provide the same level of support.

I only this coat for standing air rifle, so I can't comment on comfort or support in other positions. I use Creedmoor Hardback for prone.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I'd suspect it doesn't really go back to ISU days and it's purely a naming issue - but if it does, then there are a whole lot of different rules. I think 1998 (when it became ISSF) would predate all the thickness and stiffness stuff.