Weight rod and smallbore balance in prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Sammep

Weight rod and smallbore balance in prone

Post by Sammep »

When watching the elite shooters, both at national level and at the world cup, I have noticed that nearly everbody have a weight rod placed under the front of their stock with weights.

I understand that the weight will decrease sway and recoil. Therefore, I think I might buy one myself.

But which rod to buy? Tec-Hro have one (Tec-Hro lot) that seems quite reasonably priced (but quite light? Will have to buy many extra weights.), Mec also have one that looks sturdier, but it is very expensive.

Adding weights will of course alter the balance of the rifle. What balance point should I aim for in the prone position?

Thankfull for advice.

/Samuel
Tim S

Re: Weight rod and smallbore balance in prone

Post by Tim S »

Be aware that a weight on the rifle is not a magic.

Do you think that your rifle currently too light, or not sufficiently muzzle heavy? If the answer to either of these questions is no, then think again. The higher level shooters you have seen will have added weights after much deliberation to fine tune the balance so the rifle sits a little steadier. If you find that your rifle wobbles, it may be more profitable to look over your position first to check that it is sound and stable. Just adding weight may make a position that is not perfectly steady less stable.

To answer your question about balance, my rifles and most others that I've handled, balance within a few inches of the front of the receiver.
Sammep

Post by Sammep »

I will probably rework my posistion soon, because of lack of progress this season. But with my present posistion, I feel that the muzzle jump when I take the shot is quite large, and also not consistent; sometimes it goes a little bit sideways and the correct recoil should go upwards. That, and the fact that many shooters use weight rods made me interested.

I dont think my rifle is that light when I handling it, but I do know that many shooters put a lot of weights on their free rifles just to handle recoil.

My current balance point on my rifle is near your point.

I think I will take a good look at my position before adding a weight rod.

Thank you for your advice Tim S,

Samuel
patriot

Post by patriot »

Yep, if you are seeing sideways jump then concentrate on improving the position; don't add weight to mask the problem. I did use stock weights to slow the wobble. I used as much as I could without my sling hand hurting with a 30 degrees forearm. Increasing weight helped up to the point where it caused fatigue late in a string. I loaned a spare set to a friend one practice session; turned around and won the state championship. Needless to say they were never returned. But when I went to a tuner and bloop tube the weights were too much; had to go.

While we are on the subject: Every once in the while the Brits start whining about the need to limit rifle weight. If we start there where does it end? Blue eyed people have to use filters to even out the light sensitivity? People with long arms have to use short slings? People with slow heart rates have to take stimulates? Well, you get the point - rant over.

Mark
Andre

Post by Andre »

Just my $0.03 (Sorry, Inflation)

While having a conversation with a high level national coach, (paraphrasing here) he said: "Although a heavier rifle resists an initial jitter or jump, the extra weight equals more momentum and harder to slow down once it's going."

Imagine a windy outdoor match where the wind pushes your rifle around, a light rifle might start moving sooner but is easier to halt. A heavy rifle might keep steady but once moving is harder to slow down.

Tune the rifle to you, try out different weights and see what works best. IMO fit and balance are the most important things.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

patriot wrote:While we are on the subject: Every once in the while the Brits start whining about the need to limit rifle weight.

Mark
???
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

I believe one of the reasons you are seeing weights return is that many people are shooting shorter barrels with tubes. If I am shooting a classic 26 or 28 inch bull barrel, there is plenty of weight out there. Some of these rifles now with tubes are a quite a bit shorter and lighter.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

I was speaking to Heinrich Bleiker last week and he was describing how people are coming looking for lighter rifles these days and want to take the nose heaviness out of them. His light stocks are in response to that (While the Lady models cater directly to women and are proportionately scaled down). His rifles have a normal 26 inch barrel with a tube, but the weight is much further back. A standard Bleiker in an alu stock also isn't a lightweight proposition either, though the new light stock is very different again. Still, seems to be the case that people are getting away from heavy guns with more weight in the nose. Doesn't suit everyone mind.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

It strikes me that in general a lighter gun, where that lightness doesn't affect inherent accuracy, offers more choice. It is far easier to add weight to a gun, and so get the balance just right for the individual shooter, than it will ever be to try to reduce the weight of the rifle to achieve the wanted balance.

Alan
patriot

Post by patriot »

Interesting discussion. With my long reach which is increased by angling my body to the target (long arms and wide shoulders) plus the position being very locked in, balance doesn't seem to be a factor. Is it more so for those that shoot square to the target?

Mark
skylark

Post by skylark »

If you're square to the target, you'll have the handstop further back than if you're a long way round the side of the gun, just by geometry. That will make a front heavy gun more extreme (because the extra weight will be further from the pivot point which is your supporting hand).

Probably not a big issue if you're tall with long arms - the balance point will be behind your supporting hand anyway.. I'm 5'2 and how front-heavy a gun is definitely is an issue for me.