stainless steel vs. carbon fiber cleaning rods

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bugman1955

stainless steel vs. carbon fiber cleaning rods

Post by bugman1955 »

I would like to know everyone's opinion about both.
mtncwru

Re: stainless steel vs. carbon fiber cleaning rods

Post by mtncwru »

The search function is your friend, and I hear it even works from under a bridge.
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

Thank you for your reply mtncwru. But I do not understand your reply, please verify.
Andre

Post by Andre »

At least 20 threads on cleaning rods, starting another will just lead to yet another flame war.
ZD

Post by ZD »

Personally, I have never used a carbon fiber cleaning rod, I just use a good quality coated rod from Dewey for my anschutz. I believe it is a steel rod with a neoprenne coating, or something like that. Works great for me. And as for the other responses, I'm not impressed. Yes the search function is great, but the man asked a question. He deserves a response if someone can answer his question. These kind of responses are a great way to chase away members.

-Zach
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

Thank you ZD.
rbs

Post by rbs »

I use and prefer a stainless rod, either Ivy or Pro Shot (have both), and a Merks bore guide. The carbon fiber had too much flex and the finish quickly became rough from contact with the rifling, same with the coated road. The stainless are considerably stiffer and as long as you don't try shoving too much down the bore don't seem to contact the rifling. The Merk's bore guide has an insert built to fit the diameter of the rod and helps greatly reducing flex. The Ivy rod has a better polished finish, but I have polished my Pro Shot with 400 wet/dry and use Lock Tite to secure the jag to the rod and make sure the fit is flush. I use the Pro Shot for patches, 1 1/8" square, and the Ivy for brushes.
Didn't see you at River Bend this year
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

RBS, I was not at River Bend this year. A new roof killed my chance of going. Hope to go next year.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Some worry that a coated rod would hold abrasive primer compound, but I doubt anyone knows for certain. I use a stainless Dewey with a good bore guide; wipe it down each pass.

Mark