Fore Sight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mmajora

Re: Fore Sight

Post by mmajora »

For the next match maybe not, but training - give it a try.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

lyoke wrote:I have 27" and I was using a 3.4. I just put an 11" tube on my rifle. I normally shoot 50 ft or 50m but I have started recently shooting 100 yd prone matches. I used the 3.4 and did decent.... The largest size I have in my set is a 4.0. Would it be recommended that I go straight to the 4.0 for my next match (100 yd prone) and order some new larger inserts for the future?

Thanks.

Lake
I would skip the 4.0 and go straight to a larger size. When I first used a tube I scaled up my foresight aperture to match the new longer sight radius. What you want is a foresight that looks proportionately the same as your 3.4mm/27in barrel combination. Some basic maths suggests a 4.5mm aperture would be in order.

The problem with very small apertures is that it's possible to aim well off-centre without noticing. This is because there is a halo around the inner edge of the aperture, so when the aperture is very tight you can overlap it with the target but still see a sliver of light all around the target. With a normal size aperture the gap around the target is large enough that it's obvious when the target is off centre.
Last edited by Tim S on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyoke

Post by lyoke »

Thanks for the advice!