GE600 Stocks

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PRIMU

GE600 Stocks

Post by PRIMU »

Just wanted to let everyone know that GE600 stocks are back! (including the new Evolution model which allows for a free floating action). Check out the website; http://www.GE600.co.uk
Best Regards
Dan
Attachments
Marco de Nicolo.jpg
Shifty

Re: GE600 Stocks

Post by Shifty »

Great news - but how do you go about mounting the barrel into the stock on the Evolution?
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

From whom and where can these stocks be purchased?
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Shifty wrote:Great news - but how do you go about mounting the barrel into the stock on the Evolution?
There is a rubber o-ring between each clamping ring and the barrel. Tightening the clamps compresses the o-ring and so it grips the barrel more firmly. The action floats in midair but is relatively stress free. I imagine some "tuning" can be done by altering the amount of compression applied to the o-rings.

Have I said o-rings enough?

K.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Thanks Kenny - Does this mean the o-rings open wide enough to accept the bulge at the end of standard rifle barrels - Anschutz 1913 for example.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Shifty wrote:Thanks Kenny - Does this mean the o-rings open wide enough to accept the bulge at the end of standard rifle barrels - Anschutz 1913 for example.
I don't think the o-rings would be the limiting factor - the barrel has to fit through the mounting rings.
I'm sure that a 1913 barrel would fit in the Evo stock without any difficulty.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Anyone know how thick the rubber o ring is
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Image from the website:

From that it looks more like the inner face is flat or slightly concave rather than being a standard o-ring.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

So it is different to the Unique X-Concept then. That used a rubber sleeve inside the barrel rings.
ZD

Post by ZD »

Nice to see these stocks back in action, but I would be curious for an explanation as to why a free floating action would be better than a free floating barrel. From my limited understanding, a rifle is more accurate with a free floating barrel because changes in temperature on say a wood stock will move the placement of the barrel. Now, obviously the stock is milled aluminum, so a temperature or humidity change shouldn't affect the stock, and hence the barrel, however I would think having the barrel clamped down would have a negative effect. I can see the potential for tuning though. Any explanations would be appreciated, I always love learning new things about the science and art of maximizing a rifles accuracy.

-Zach
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

ZD wrote:Nice to see these stocks back in action, but I would be curious for an explanation as to why a free floating action would be better than a free floating barrel. From my limited understanding, a rifle is more accurate with a free floating barrel because changes in temperature on say a wood stock will move the placement of the barrel. Now, obviously the stock is milled aluminum, so a temperature or humidity change shouldn't affect the stock, and hence the barrel, however I would think having the barrel clamped down would have a negative effect. I can see the potential for tuning though. Any explanations would be appreciated, I always love learning new things about the science and art of maximizing a rifles accuracy.

-Zach
Well said, sir. I had been wanting to ask exactly the same question but felt foolish doing so. I always assumed that for best results the barrel needed to vibrate freely along its entire length but perhaps I was mistaken. The GE Evo stock seems to interfere with these free vibrations at two points, but I guess that the designers knew what they were doing.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I could speculate about the vibrational modes of a free bar compared with a cantilevered bar and how that might affect the grouping ability of a barrel but until I get my hands on one and do some vibration testing it's all just BS. Too many unknowns to make any sensible predictions just yet.

The bottom line is that in the hands of a top class shooter with a top class barrel and ammo, it is capable of winning medals at an international level - so it can't be bad. What I'm hearing is that it has a different "feel" and sound compared to conventionally bedded stocks. I have a feeling that the Evo 600 might be more forgiving to shooters in the standing and (maybe) kneeling positions - prone maybe not so much.

K.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I am also not sure about how it beds especially in a 300m rifle that the barrel gets hot in. I have seen plenty of barrel block stocks but mostly in bench rest rifles. I have a barrel block palma rifle in the post at the moment and intend to also put my small bore rifle in the same stock. I was going to get an alloy shim made as the barrel is slightly smaller than the centerfire barrel but after seeing this Im going to try a rubber sleeve. I don't think it will work as its only in one place instead of 2 but will oly cost 5 dollars to find out

I cant see how if it was more forgiving in standing and kneeling it wouldn't be more forgiving in prone. forgiving is forgiving.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Muffo wrote:I cant see how if it was more forgiving in standing and kneeling it wouldn't be more forgiving in prone. forgiving is forgiving.
I've gathered that a rifle using the Evo stock feels relatively "dead" (whatever that means).
My thought was that the rubber suspension might change/reduce the way the rifle recoils - in unstable positions like standing, managing the recoil seems to be of some importance. Air rifle shooters seem to be able to hit the ten with a rifle that not that much different from a smallbore rifle so why is it so much harder with a .22? An air rifle is virtually recoil free (even though the pellet is in the barrel for much longer than a smallbore bullet)... That and wind.

In prone, the position is much more stable and managing the recoil isn't such a problem so there's less room for improvement.

Of course I may be completely wrong.

K.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Cumbrian wrote: I always assumed that for best results the barrel needed to vibrate freely along its entire length but perhaps I was mistaken.
Are you familiar with the Remington or Freeland forend pressure tuners?

Mark
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Are you familiar with the Remington or Freeland forend pressure tuners?

Mark[/quote]

No, I'm afraid my limited knowledge does not stretch that far. I will be interested to look into them. Thank you.

I think I have now found some discussion of these tuners on thefiringline.com for August 2014, thread 5916430. They did not find favour with at least one, apparently well qualified, contributor, namely Bart B.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Like this?

Not sure how effective it would be with the (relatively) stiff match barrels we use - sporters maybe...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

patriot wrote: Are you familiar with the Remington or Freeland forend pressure tuners?

Mark
Roger,

these bedders that Mark is reffering to are essentially collars around the barrel, embedded in the fore-end. Rather than being rubber lined like the GE600, "bedders" had thumbscrews (often at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock - or variations thereof) that were turned in to touch the barrel. The idea was to manipulate barrel vibrations until groups get tighter.

Freeland (the American equivalent to Parker-Hale) sold them as retro-fit items, as did one or two other companies. Remington fitted a similar arrangement to their 40X match rifles in the 1950s and 1960s. I think the Remington model could be hooked up to a small battery and bulb to check contact.

Ken, I can't answer whether these worked, but Remington, Winchester, and BSA fitted some beefy barrels in those days.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim and Ken - thank you for enlightening me as usual.

Roger
patriot

Post by patriot »

Not certain if this forum permits links to auction sites, but if you go to gunbroker and search for "Remington M 40x Military Target Stock" you will see photos of the tuners.

They are effective. If you consider what a small partial turn of a muzzle tuner can accomplish, good or bad, these are not just for sporters.

I had a Remington 30-06 sporter that had a small hump in the end of the barrel channel to create up pressure. Remington wouldn't have gone to the bother without a reason.

When I stocked a 1903-A1 USMC sniper reproduction in .22 rimfire I designed it so the front receiver screw would adjust the pressure at the tip of the stock; worked very well.

Mark