Something sort of weird is happening with my shots.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ketchup

Something sort of weird is happening with my shots.

Post by Ketchup »

Hey guys,

How's it going?

I finally got my gun and suit and my score went up pretty dramatically (from about 540 to about 570). Now that I'm grouping more seriously, I'm starting to notice a weird trend. I change targets every three shots, and almost always (like 8 out of 10 times) my last shot of the three misses. For instance, I shoot a 10.1, a 10.2 then a 8. The bad shot is always too high, but doesn't trend right or left. Initially I though I didn't have enough followthrough (is that what it's called in shooting) but even after I started staying on target longer, nothing changed. I My coach is on vacation so I though maybe you guys could help me.

Thanks! :)
dezzick3

Re: Something sort of weird is happening with my shots.

Post by dezzick3 »

If it's the last shot of the three you might be thinking about moving onto the next target rather than on good shot execution. When your coach returns from holiday get them to tell you when to move on to the next target when training, could be after 1 shot, or after 5. This should help you to avoid thinking about the next diagram and instead focus on making good shots.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

dezzick3 wrote:If it's the last shot of the three you might be thinking about moving onto the next target rather than on good shot execution. When your coach returns from holiday get them to tell you when to move on to the next target when training, could be after 1 shot, or after 5. This should help you to avoid thinking about the next diagram and instead focus on making good shots.
That makes sense. Thanks, I'll do that!
Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson »

I agree, this is definitely an issue with your mental approach rather than your equipment. Analyze what your mental process is during the "good" shots, and make sure to also follow it during any shots where you may feel more pressure or as if something is different (such as the last shot in a series). Do not seek out what may feel wrong on those higher intensity shots as you'll always find something and then be fixated on it, but replace whatever you were thinking about with the process that you use for the other shots. Remember, nothing has changed physically between the two shots, it is just what you are thinking about and your mental state. Note that this kind of mental discipline does take practice to perfect, just as with everything else in shooting.

Happy shooting,

Ryan
Check out my free shooting podcast available on youtube and also through iTunes or the Android "podomatic" app! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT7XX ... hg630OLsfQ
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Pay attention to your cheek pressure, and make note of it from shot to shot. I initially experienced difficulty on shots 4, 5 because of a cheek pressure & loading issue. Once I made a mental note of my cheek pressure, I was able to pick up the fact that the rifle butt plate wasn't in the same precise location as the first three, which caused me to 'press down' harder with my cheek in order to obtain the same sight picture.

Best of luck !

-tc
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

It could be something as simple as the first two shot holes are letting the sight picture change enough to move your visual center. This can be a real problem if there is any back lighting on the target.