New rifle - is that OK

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

New rifle - is that OK

Post by Giddaymate »

Just beginning to shoot my new FWB 2700. Shoots really well. However, I was cleaning it and spotted these marks on the bolt.
Wondering what this might be and if its normal - maybe because its brand new (300rounds)?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Giddaymate on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giddaymate

Re: New rifle - is that OK

Post by Giddaymate »

Another pic

Gort

Post by Gort »

Yes, it is normal contact "witness" (lighter than wear) between the bolt and receiver. Keep a light film of oil on the bolt body, locking and caming areas.
Gort
Andre

Post by Andre »

All bolts have that, it is normal and nothing to worry about. As Gort said keep a little oil on the bolt body, and some lube on the caming lug surfaces. I like grease there, not oil.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I would recommend using high percentage moly grease. It leaves the bolt and other friction areas silky smooth after repeated use and does not attract dirt as oil does.
patriot

Post by patriot »

I prefer oil since I wipe it down it after ever session. Lube might accumulate abrasive crud.

Mark
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Thanks guys. Now I can get back to shooting all these good 10's
Andre

Post by Andre »

kevinweiho wrote:I would recommend using high percentage moly grease. It leaves the bolt and other friction areas silky smooth after repeated use and does not attract dirt as oil does.
There shouldn't be dirt on your target rifle though anyway. If it's getting dusty, shoot it!

Use a dry lube like silicone spray or the film left by a silicone rag to alleviate the issue.
patriot

Post by patriot »

When I wipe the bolt down there is always a little burnt powder and primer residue after a match.

Mark
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Andre wrote:Use a dry lube like silicone spray or the film left by a silicone rag to alleviate the issue.
I use 3 in 1 silicone spray to preserve the bluing on my guns, but I never use it on the bolt or friction areas because it is not a metal to metal lubricant.