Cleaning stuff for 22

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

Cleaning stuff for 22

Post by Giddaymate »

Hi

I have a nice coated cleaning rod but need to upgrade brushes, patches etc for my match rifle.
What should I get and where can I order online these specific 22LR items?

Many thanks
Tim S

Re: Cleaning stuff for 22

Post by Tim S »

Any target shooting supply shop can provide cleaning materials, and many general gun shops can too.

To go with your rod you'll need:

Rod guide - these centre the rod in the bore, and support it, to prevent/minimise contact with the bore. Guides are specific to the action, although an Anschutz Match 54 guide will fit any Match 54 based rifle (1407, 1411, 1413, 1607, 1607, 1611, 1613, 1807, 1811, 1813, 1907, 1911, 1912, 1913, 2007, 2013)

Jag - pointed or wrap-around (Parker-Hale type), doesn't really matter. I don't like the military-type patch loops though.

Brush - phosphor bronze, preferably with a brass core. I'd buy two or three, so you have a replacement ready when the first wears out. If you like to scrub the throat, a nylon brush is useful, as the bristles won't get damaged by the back-and-forth movement.

Patches (obviously) - I like 1-1/8in patches with a Dewey pointed jag, but 1in may be easier through your barrel. You may want a different size with a Parker-Hale type jag. VFG felts are easy to use, if dearer.

Solvent - Hoppes no 9 is the standard, but there are others (Shooters Choice, Boretech Rimfire Blend etc). All dissolve powder and grease, and loosen lead (nothing really dissolves lead - mercury and peroxide come close, but are toxic). I would avoid ammonia-heavy products like Sweets 7.62mm. These are intended for the copper fouling produced by high-velocity jacketed ammo, and just aren't needed for smallbore. These is also a theory that the ammonia can etch the barrel steel if left in the bore for too long.

Oil - Any branded gun oil will do, although you could save money and buy some multi-purpose oil from a hardware shop.

There are also a few useful items you can pick up locally:

cottonbuds/q-tips, and toothpicks for the breech

Cloths - any lint free cloths for wiping down the outside.

grease - can be moly gun grease, or automotive types, for the bolt lugs and cocking cam.

Degreaser spray - useful for the bolt.
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Brilliant - thanks.

I dont have a shop near me so can anyone name a place where I can order above items On-line (usa)??
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Giddaymate wrote:Brilliant - thanks.

I dont have a shop near me so can anyone name a place where I can order above items On-line (usa)??
Brownell's is one option, MidwayUSA is another, and Amazon is actually not bad.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Dewey have a good range of accessories as well as their very good cleaning rods. And great to deal with.
Martin
Rochenkaskade

Post by Rochenkaskade »

hallo,

would Hoppes Boresnake be a good choice?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Rochenkaskade wrote:hallo,

would Hoppes Boresnake be a good choice?
It's better than not cleaning. The major disadvantage of a boresnake isthat it's only good for one pass. After that it's coated with all the crud you don't want in the barrel.

I have a boresnake, but don't think it's as effective as a rod, patches, and brush to get the barrel really clean. When I want to do this, I like to leave the solvent soaking for 10-15 min to soften any stubborn fouling before brushing. I can't do this with a boresnake.

The boresnake is useful for a quick pull-through to remove loose debris, although personally I just use a patch. It is essential for a customed-stocked Club Martini that has an extra-high cheekpiece; I can't use a rod, but can use a boresnake.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Tim S wrote:
Rochenkaskade wrote: The boresnake is useful for a quick pull-through to remove loose debris, although personally I just use a patch. It is essential for a customed-stocked Club Martini that has an extra-high cheekpiece; I can't use a rod, but can use a boresnake.
I take the Remington 37 with a high cheek-piece out of the stock after each range trip. Spare the rod and spoil the crown... :-)