Needing advice on Anschutz rifle models

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JPK

Needing advice on Anschutz rifle models

Post by JPK »

What would be the determining factors on which model to go with?
1907 in a 1914 walnut stock or 1913 in a 1914 walnut stock.
I can see the 1913 barrel is 1 1/4"longer with more rifling than the 1907.
They have different cheek plate designs.
Pros and cons would be helpful.
Thanks
Tim S

Re: Needing advice on Anschutz rifle models

Post by Tim S »

Your choice of rifles partly depends on how heavy you want that rifle to be.

The 1913 and 1907 barrel/actions share the same receiver, bolt, and trigger. As you noted, the 1913 is 3cm longer than the 1907. It's also a little less than 1lb heavier. The extra weight will affect the balance of the rifle, and your comfort. Most adult men, especially though shooting prone only, will pick the 1913, however the 1913 can be too heavy for some slimmer men, and many women, and most juniors.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I have young shooters, both guys and gals, that use the older 1912 stock which I think is superb for about 14+ in age. It is light enough for them to handle, but as they grow weights and be added.
The 1914 is the follow-on to the '12. It's only about .2kg heavier.
So if you are a younger shooter ... or a gal, go with the 1914.
One of my collegiate guys still shoots the '12 weighted down a bit, but not much ... pretty easy to add & balance.
JPK

Post by JPK »

ok, both models come with a 1914 stock just different barrels
dezzick3

Post by dezzick3 »

It depends what you're planning to do, as has been said above! If you're a male of average build planning to do solely prone, then the 1913 is probably best. However if you're a bit slighter, or of the fairer sex, and looking at 3P, the 1907 might be a better bet as it's a bit lighter. Try both, some prone shooters still prefer the 1907's balance, but personally I like the greater mass of the 1913 for greater stability, as do most shooters.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

In terms of which actions are the best, we can go back and forth all day. I have teammates who have done very well with a heavy barreled action, and I have other teammates who have done equally well with a 1907/lighter barreled action. At the end of the day, the bigger factor is "Which action do YOU shoot better?" Personally, I prefer the lighter barrel and I'm 6'1", 195 lbs., and shoot prone only. The reason for my preference is that over the course of a two or four day NRA match, I have better endurance with the lighter barrel. It's also easier to add weight than to subtract it!

In terms of stock, I prefer the 1914 simply because it includes the Precise cheekpiece hardware, which is click-stopped, and micro-adjustable from position. All that at a price ~$500 less than a full Precise stock, it provides a value that's hard to beat.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

I'm the opposite! I shoot a 1913 in a 1914 stock and I have added a lot more weight to the stock for better stability - And I'm 5'3 and 125lbs! I only shoot prone currently.
It's really what suits you the best at the end of the day!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

JPK .... How much prone shooting have you done?
Here in NM, we have our Regional Prone Metric Championship next weekend (a 4800 match) here in Albuquerque this weekend (Jun 6-7).
If you don't have the rest of the schedule for this year, PM me and I'll send it to you.
Might be a good chance to look at a few rifles.

Joel Martin
Andre

Post by Andre »

mtncwru wrote:In terms of stock, I prefer the 1914 simply because it includes the Precise cheekpiece hardware, which is click-stopped, and micro-adjustable from position. All that at a price ~$500 less than a full Precise stock, it provides a value that's hard to beat.
Yep, that says it all. Don't even have to move your face to adjust it, which is great for moving your head position when you adjust your sights a gross amount; something you may overlook if you must use a wrench.

I have three friends that shoot the 1913 super match/1914 (non precise) with heavier barrels. I prefer my lighter barreled action, because with a 11" tube it adds enough weight to make things just right. You can always add weight, but it's harder to remove it. Anschutz cuts three pockets on the bottom of the fore end for weight.

Also like the feel of Walnut over aluminum. Just a more "Friendly" feel and doesn't feel like your holding a robotic appendage.
JPK

Post by JPK »

Thank you all for the info! The rifle will be for a 16 year old female that loves 3P!
1907 w/1914 stock should do well for her.
Love this forum!! All your experiences and knowledge is priceless.
Thank you.
joel

Post by joel »

Shifty wrote:I'm the opposite! I shoot a 1913 in a 1914 stock and I have added a lot more weight to the stock for better stability - And I'm 5'3 and 125lbs! I only shoot prone currently.
It's really what suits you the best at the end of the day!
That's very interesting to hear. I'm 5"6" about 140lbs and shoot an 1813SM. I can reach the trigger okay, but my left hand is only partially down the stock and the sling barely clears the trigger guard. I can also barely get off 5 shots without needing to completely peel the rifle off of me and recover from the excruciating hand and elbow pain. Did you shorten your 1914 stock?

Joel
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

JPK wrote:ok, both models come with a 1914 stock just different barrels
Not quite, the 1914 stock is scaled down a bit. It's about 7/8th the size of the 1913 stock. Both offer the same level of adjustments.

The 1907 in 1914 stock and it's predecessor the 1912 rifle are designed for the Women's Sport Rifle class, which has a lower max weight limit than Men's Free Rifle class.

This doesn't prevent men from using them if they prefer a lighter rifle.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

joel wrote:That's very interesting to hear. I'm 5"6" about 140lbs and shoot an 1813SM. I can reach the trigger okay, but my left hand is only partially down the stock and the sling barely clears the trigger guard. I can also barely get off 5 shots without needing to completely peel the rifle off of me and recover from the excruciating hand and elbow pain. Did you shorten your 1914 stock?

Joel

Hi Joel,

My 1914 stock is completely standard but I've added a decent amount of weight to it (have a look under the cheek piece in the photo below) and I can happily shoot 50+ shots without any pain creeping into my hand or elbow. I used to have terrible hand pain but I changed my glove, I went from a Anschutz Thermostar to a Monard Prone glove and 90% of the pain just disappeared. I use a KT under layer too which is lovely and soft in the elbows.
I have the butt plate relatively close in so I can still reach the loading port with my short arms! I have my left hand far enough forwards that there's about an inch of clearance between the sling and the trigger guard.

joel

Post by joel »

Thanks Shifty,

The picture and description are very much appreciated. I am using a KT glove and perhaps my mat isn't the best though. My left hand is quite close like yours is as well and the sling nearly touches the trigger guard. This makes me hopeful that perhaps I can figure out where my troubles lie and not need to get a different stock.

Regards,

Joel
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Another thing I forgot to mention - I used to suffer left hand pain when I was using a simple hand stop (the small circular Anschutz one) but now I've swapped to using a hand stop that allows me to offset it from the centre line, allowing me to get either more hand or more thumb under the stock. I tried various positions until I found something I can cope with!

- Lee