New Walther KK500???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gru

New Walther KK500???

Post by Gru »

I can't find any info on it anywhere. Their website doesn't even hint at it. It looks like the stock will accept and be set up for both left and right actions.

I found some video of it also but couldn't get it to post here.

svensta

Re: New Walther KK500???

Post by svensta »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Found this good side view of the bolt. I think Anschutz missed something with the 5430 - there's only an inch of rail above the bolt to mount your rear sight. The KK500 has a similar setup to Bleiker/G&E where you have the rail over the loading port.

svensta

Post by svensta »

Well let's see what the price is. They have done a great job shifting back the loading port.

KK500 > 54.30
Andre

Post by Andre »

I'm surprised there aren't bullpup target rifles already. I am interested in seeing how it preforms and how many show up in finals. Also interested in seeing the price tag.......the regular Anatonic is like 4k isn't it?
Andre

Post by Andre »

svensta wrote: KK500 > 54.30
Neither rifle is out yet. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't say that just yet. Anschutz brought a lot to the table this time.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Andre wrote:I'm surprised there aren't bullpup target rifles already.
A bullpup smallbore would be difficult. The primary obstacle would be the trigger, specifically making it work and acheiving the very fine let off despite the extra linkages (not a concern for the military). IMO an electronic trigger would be the way to go. A full bull pup would also be a pig to load prone. The RMFTC stock moves the action back, but only a few inches so the breech is over the trigger, like a BSA Martini (which still requires an electronic trigger).

There is also the question of why? Some armed forces use bulpups for compactness, something that is irrelevant for target shooting.
deboom_j

Post by deboom_j »

It almost looks like the action is ambidextrious, just the bolt is left or right handed. I like the trigger on my KK300, it'll be interesting to see/feel this one. I'm curious about the price too, hopefully they didn't copy Bleiker and G+E in that respect too!

I saw a post on Facebook a couple weeks ago, that Anschutz just completed a 100K round endurance test on the 54.30. So maybe that means it's getting close to market.

I'm glad to see the Germans aren't asleep at the wheel, and are answering to the "new" Swiss products. I say "new" because the Bleiker rifle has been around longer than a lot of people realize. G+E as a company has been around for quite awhile too.

As far as the bullpup design goes, there's a picture of one on p. 191 in Ways of the Rifle 2009 (english version).
Andre

Post by Andre »

Tim S wrote: There is also the question of why? Some armed forces use bulpups for compactness, something that is irrelevant for target shooting.
Not a full blown bullpup, but have the action even further back, (Maybe 2" further back). Yes electronic triggers all the way.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Andre wrote: Not a full blown bullpup, but have the action even further back, (Maybe 2" further back). Yes electronic triggers all the way.
With the action that far back the bolt will foul the cheekpiece or jab you in the face on the rearward stroke in a conventional stock.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

on the subject of Bullpup rifle actions its been done and thay are for sale, they are called Tube stocks. see here:
http://www.gotxring.com/smallbore/
Shifty wrote:Found this good side view of the bolt. I think Anschutz missed something with the 5430 - there's only an inch of rail above the bolt to mount your rear sight. The KK500 has a similar setup to Bleiker/G&E where you have the rail over the loading port.
Anschutz didn't miss this, Walther is just hiding their issue with the riser block on the action, the black one have a closer look at both sides. and you will see the screws. and how it is mounted. It would be easy enough to have one made to fit the Anschutz.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

I got my hands on this rifle over the last few days and it looks like a great job done by Walther. If I was in the market for a new rifle this would be a very strong contender.
deboom_j wrote:It almost looks like the action is ambidextrious, just the bolt is left or right handed.
The action is ambidextrous and the bolt can be changed from right to left handed without tools. The ejector can also be changed from right to left, but I didn't see how that was done. The only "handed" part on the entire rifle is the pistol grip.
deboom_j wrote:I'm curious about the price too, hopefully they didn't copy Bleiker and G+E in that respect too!
There's no price announced yet, but from what I heard it's €3-4k. I would expect it to be at the top end of that price bracket. The rifle pictured is still a prototype and won't be officially launched for a few months. They still need to make some of the stock fittings (e.g. the palm rest on the prototype is just the KK300 one) and they probably still have some testing to do. That said, the rifle is "done" enough that some people are pre-ordering now, even without the price announcement.
Thedrifter wrote:Anschutz didn't miss this, Walther is just hiding their issue with the riser block on the action, the black one have a closer look at both sides. and you will see the screws. and how it is mounted. It would be easy enough to have one made to fit the Anschutz.
It's not obvious from the photos but the KK500 sight rail actually does bridge the loading port. There's a raiser block on the pictured rifle in addition to that. The action is so shallow that many people will want a raiser block even for prone.

Having seen the KK500 and 54.30 in the flesh, I think Walther have been a lot more ambitious about taking a chunk out of Bleiker and G+E's market. The KK500 looks like Bleiker ergonomics for 50-75% of the price. That will be a compelling argument for a lot of people.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

Andre wrote:Yes electronic triggers all the way.
I forgot to mention, the KK500 will be offered with both mechanical and electronic trigger options.
Dustin Clays

Post by Dustin Clays »

Nice! I wonder when it'll be available for purchase int eh US? I'm in the market for one later this fall.... (i have to buy a precision AR now, then saving for a smallbore this fall).
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

Dustin Clays wrote:Nice! I wonder when it'll be available for purchase int eh US? I'm in the market for one later this fall.... (i have to buy a precision AR now, then saving for a smallbore this fall).
There are no dates announced yet, but from what they were saying in the tent in Munich I'm guessing US suppliers will get their first shipment in the first half of 2016.

It might be ready for pre-order by the time you're planning on buying one but I'd be pleasantly surprised if you saw it this year.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Walther have videos of the KK500 test rig being fired on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/WaltherCompetitionShooting
Good quality HD video shows the action cycling. If you follow the link there's another version showing the action in it's left handed configuration too.
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Any updates on availability in the US?
patriot

Post by patriot »

Shot my 54.30 last weekend. Below are the first five shots prone at 100 after sighting in the scope.
Anschutz.54.30.FirstFiveProne.100Yds.jpg
Anschutz.54.30.FirstFiveProne.100Yds.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 8514 times
svensta

Post by svensta »

Nice group. Not as nice as Torben Grimmel winning the World Cup 50m Prone Rifle in Bankok this month
with his new KK500. Nice to see a brand new product do so well (OK the shooter was good too)
at such an early point since it's introduction. Most gun shops are not close to stocking this
rifle yet.

The prices on "new" KK300's may drop as Walther have removed them from their
main website with the exception of the blacktec (now the budget) model?
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

That's a really nice group at 100 yards. I really want to see what the 54.30 does in a 50m 60 shot prone match. And even more I would like to see what kind of groups it shoots during ammo batch testing. Are you using yours for prone, 3P, or benchrest?

So far the only 54.30 I have seen in competition was at ISAS Dortmund in Germany recently. But it was in the hands of one of the junior shooters, so not much can be ascertained about its performance.

Below is the 54.30 in Dortmund. It's being used in a Tec-Hro fanatic stock and without the Anschutz sight extension tube.

As for the KK500 it was good to see Torben win right out of the gate with it. He was the top qualifier with a 625.5 in extremely windy conditions and followed it up with a win in the final.

If the below photo is any indication, the KK500 will be just fine. If only it showed the decimal score.