Air cylinder

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

backintoshooting

Air cylinder

Post by backintoshooting »

Hello,
I have a Anschutz 2002 CA with only one cylinder that unfortunately leaks. It's not terrible; filled up it lasts about 2 days, so I can at least shoot, but it is annoying. Are there any fixes to this, or ways to get (relatively) inexpensive used cylinders?
Thanks for any and all help!
jhmartin

Re: Air cylinder

Post by jhmartin »

If that is the original cylinder that came with the rifle, it's probably expired anyway.
If you do not shoot sanctioned matches, no big deal. If you do shoot matches, you'll nned one that's not expired.
backintoshooting

Thanks for the response. Are there any ways to fix a small leak like that?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I've dealt with small leaks if they are on the manometer end with a wrap of duct tape. If it is on the valve end the fit is too tight to do it there.
My guess (and it's totally a guess) is that it's the valve ... dirt, dust, age.

Ours are used in competitions, so we have to get the cylinders replaced. (I've got 3 that are going to expire and have ordered replacements ... a bit pricy)

Where are you from? There might be a range nearby that could loan you an expired one.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Send it out for repair. Some will fix it, some won't. No big deal.
backintoshooting

This forum is fantastic, thanks for the responses. I am in Chicago. Know of any places that would donate/sell old (but still non-leaking and functional) cylinders? Would you be interested in selling yours that you don't compete with?

As for sending it in, where can that be done?

Thanks again!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

You really can't send them in for refurb. With their small size it is cheaper just to purchase a new one.

I scrap ours when they go out of date. I personally don't think they are unsafe at all, but because of the potential issues I think it will be hard for anyone to sell or give one away....
Rover

Post by Rover »

Put an ad in TT classifieds. There are lots of guys who would sell/give you one.

Pilkington might fix it for you.
pdurben

Post by pdurben »

I just responded to your posting in the buy, sell, trade section on this subject. I have a steel cylinder from my Anschutz 2002 that I can sell to you. It's expired (I purchased it when I purchased the rifle in 2002), but it seems fine. It was my back up, so I didn't use it much, but I tried it for a few sessions the other week, and it seems fine. How's $60? Contact me at pdurben@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Pete
Rover

Post by Rover »

Bingo!
fa38

Post by fa38 »

I have been thinking about purchasing a Anschutz 8002 and after reading the above posts have a few questions.
Do all the air cylinders have an expiration date?
If so how long is the normal time limit before the expiration date? i.e. from new.
Do they fail in some way that is dangerous or harmful to the rifle or shooter?
I assume that they would work past the expiration date but for how long?

Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

There have been many posts on this subject.

The gist of them is that there is no danger, except from officious match officials. Matches that check your cylinder are rare and most don't care.

I'm using cylinders made in 1996 with no sign of problems.