Of prone, padding, problems and the ISSF.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mbradley

Of prone, padding, problems and the ISSF.

Post by mbradley »

With all of the equipment disqualifications at Benning, I am seeking information on the undergarment solution. Specifically, prone can be very painful on my elbow and a small pad makes all the difference. Does anyone on this board know of a solution that works for them and also passed equipment control? Perhaps some of the pros like Uptagrafft can tell us what he has used or has seen used that passes the restrictions.
D.Sigurdsson

Re: Of prone, padding, problems and the ISSF.

Post by D.Sigurdsson »

Me personally I'm just using a thin sweatshirt, or a long sleeved t-shirt.
7.5.7 Underclothing
7.5.7.1 Clothing worn under the shooting jacket must not be thicker than
2.5 mm single thickness or 5 mm double thickness. The same
applies to all clothing worn under the trousers.

7.5.7.2 Only normal personal undergarments and/or training clothing that
does not immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the
athlete’s legs, body or arms may be worn under the shooting
jacket and/or trousers. Any other undergarments are prohibited
-Dui Sigurdsson

"A Golf Course Is A Waste Of A Perfectly Good Rifle Range"
Andre

Post by Andre »

Sweatshirt works for me. Only one thickness works for me, however. Too thin doesn't help and too thick decreases mobility.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I would not go back to a sweatshirt. I used one with my first jacket, but when I upgraded to a made-to-measure that actually fitted, the sweatshirt was much too bulky, so it creased horribly around the shoulders which interfered with the location of the buttplate. I simply couldn't fit one under my current jacket, as the sleeves are very well tailored; even one of my Mouche tops is tight. Also the material isn't very breathable and becomes very stuffy and damp in hot weather.

To the OP, could a change of mat help? Obviously this isn't any good at WC events where mats are provided, but at other matches a mat with legal-limit closed cell foam could help. It's just a thought.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Tim S wrote:To the OP, could a change of mat help? Obviously this isn't any good at WC events where mats are provided, but at other matches a mat with legal-limit closed cell foam could help. It's just a thought.
I seem to recall that the legal-limit of foam thickness is somewhere towards "mattress." I know that finding a good mat did far more for my elbow endurance in prone than my jacket/sweater ever did. It also solves the problem of bunching in the elbow that comes with increasing the padding at your elbow.