decimal scoring paper targets?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bill guinn

decimal scoring paper targets?

Post by bill guinn »

Is there a practical method and device to determine the decimal score on an A-50 target? Just for practice, I would like to be able to track and compare my scores in a more precise manner than integer scoring. Would not need to be perfect.

The only method I can think of would be a scanning system similar to OnTarget Precision Calculator, but modified to analyze score not group size.

Bill
KennyB

Re: decimal scoring paper targets?

Post by KennyB »

I sometimes use an android app on my phone called MyShots which is free and will give you a rough approximation - I also have TargetScan on my iPad but you may have to manually locate each of the shots in a 5 shot group as it sometimes struggles.

Ken.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The ORION scoring system will score specialty targets to 10ths. These look like A-50 and A-51 targets but are perforated to break apart into a size that will go thru the scanners.

If you look around you can also find vernier overlay gauges that will score to tenths. I've forgotten the name of the outfit in Canada that made them.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Targetscan can score decimally.

http://www.targetshootingapp.com
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

I have an old set of Nonius gauges that we used to score the finals with before the days of electronic targets. They are a plastic device like a ruler with a pin of a precise diameter to insert into the shot hole. Then you swing the ruler around until the correct mark lines up with the scoring rings and it gives you the value in tenths. Don't think anyone makes them anymore, and I'll bet there aren't but a dozen of us old guys left that can even use one correctly.

Plus, the Orion will do it a lot quicker on an entire target.

OK, back to the 21st century.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Years ago I developed a decimal scoring overlay. Unfortunately I never did one for the A50. See the "Decimal Scoring Gauge (pdf)" on the web page below.

It is a very slow process.

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Marc Orvin wrote:I have an old set of Nonius gauges that we used to score the finals with before the days of electronic targets. They are a plastic device like a ruler with a pin of a precise diameter to insert into the shot hole. Then you swing the ruler around until the correct mark lines up with the scoring rings and it gives you the value in tenths. Don't think anyone makes them anymore, and I'll bet there aren't but a dozen of us old guys left that can even use one correctly.
My set are still in my (very heavy) RO bag "just in case".

They are still available as a set from the ISSF shop or individually from Cibles Canada Targets.
swift220swift

Post by swift220swift »

If it's just for practice, just look at it and score it by eye. You will probably be closer than you think.