Smallbore buttplate question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bbryer33

Smallbore buttplate question

Post by Bbryer33 »

I was recently at the Junior Olympics and saw quite a few buttplates on the smallbore rifles that did not pass inspection and had to be replaced. What is the rule on buttplates on smallbore rifles through USA shooting rules? Someone told me that the rule is it cannot go over the barrel but I have seen ISSF shooters who have their buttplates way up into their shoulder when in prone.
Tim S

Re: Smallbore buttplate question

Post by Tim S »

Is this for 50m rifle?

There is no limit in 50m smallbore rules to the height of the plate above or below the bore line.

The curvature of the plate has been limited to 25mm. Is this what you are thinking of? An additional rule was added for 2013 stipulating that the deepest projection at the top cannot be further than 25mm from the shallowest part of the plate, measured at a right angle from the bore line. The rule effectively limited how far back over the top of the shoulder the plate can stretch.
Marc Orvin

Re: Smallbore buttplate question

Post by Marc Orvin »

TimS has it correct. One shooter was DSQ'ed at World Cup this week for failing a post-competition inspection because his butt plate was set up incorrectly.