A few questions about rear irises

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jenrick

A few questions about rear irises

Post by jenrick »

I've shot NRA Highpower Service rifle for quite a while, which uses a simpler aperture rear sight and front post. So learning the smallbore game, is jumping into the deep end regarding equipment and complexity. Looking at the available rear iris offerings, I'm seeing the following options available:

1) Adjustable iris size - I understand this one, and it seems to be pretty much a necessity once you get serious about shooting.

2) Color filters - I understand that the different colors can help increase contrast, etc. Is this something that really only comes into play when you're shooting from 10.0-10.9's consistently or is this something that would be a good thing for even a newer shooter?

3) Polarization - Again designed to help with the sight picture by allowing in different levels of light. Is it the same as above in terms of utility?

4) Magnification - Is this basically a simple optical magnifier? What exactly is the purpose of this? I get using a magnifier to be able to see an aimpoint (say shooting at a 1" diamond at 300 yards), but what exactly does it do for the shooter when you can already see the bull and the sights? If it's more of an optical clarifier that means I could shoot without glasses, that makes much more sense.

I'm currently leaning towards just a simple adjustable iris, as at the moment I don't think I'm dropping and X's due to a lack of color filters or polarization. Honestly a new match sling (still using my web service rifle sling) and a SB specific jacket would probably be worth more X's. If magnification is a replacement for prescription shooting glasses, I will definitely spend for that, as my current regular glasses do not work well for shooting SB.

Thanks in advance,

-Jenrick
redschietti

Re: A few questions about rear irises

Post by redschietti »

Shooting outdoors I would get 1+2. Then you will have what you need and wont want an upgrade, and spend more money a year from now.
kameljock

Post by kameljock »

You should know I have no intentions of shooting any international competitions so my equipment choices reflect that.

adjustable iris, I would recommend it for the front and rear. I prefer an adjustable front sight over the insert type as it is infinitely adjustable and can be easily change in the middle of a string. Changes in light conditions will warrant changes.
I used a 30mm Right Sight with an adjustable aperture, and the same sight on my HP rifle...
Color filters and Polarization- most certainly if you are shooting outdoors....I have used a Gehmann 500 for several decades. Yes the same one, the filters are large enough that cleaning is an easy task. It also has the adjustable iris.

Magnification, this is not a substitute for corrective lenses. You have a few options for this.
AHG 9450 monoframe - bought this from Neil Stepp , http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/

Champion shooting glasses- http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... item=70206
Knobloch glasses
http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.a ... y&c=OPEYKN

Jacket- I used my high power jacket from Creedmoor the jacket isn't going to get X's. That's all about the rifle, ammo, shooter combination.

Slings-you can find as many different takes on this as dishes at a Chinese buffet I have used a McKinney sling for 20 years. It is simple, well made and does the job , and they are still around. It doesn't have to be expensive to do the job correctly.

https://sites.google.com/site/jc4hrc//a ... lingorders

Buy wisely and buy once.
be in the moment
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Just a few words on slings; the most important qualities a sling must posses are:

1) Non Stretch. Your joints and ligaments tend to relax over a shoot, but you don't want the sling to do this as well.

2) Sturdy construction. You don't want the hardware to stretch or give under use anymore than you want the strap to stretch. There have been several reported instances of one very expensive sling doing just this.

2) Adjustment; the adjustment (i.e. the hole spacing) needs to be fine enough to get the right tension. If the holes are too far apart, can you punch a new one?

Beyond these qualities, it's really up to your personal taste and wallet to determine what you get. As a beginner in smallbore, simple can be good, and I would not recommend the expensive micro-adjustable slings for a while.