ISSF World Cup @ FT Benning

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KennyB

Re: ISSF World Cup @ FT Benning

Post by KennyB »

I have to say that if I had been at the WC at Benning and was DSQ'd as Torben was - as a unsponsored, self-funding European competitor who pays for his own flights, accommodation and entry fees etc. - I would be furious...

K.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Some of this is learning and knowing the rules.
In the post above about 6.5(d) ... Was the machine re-calibrated and checked if the post test was going to DSQ a shooter? If not the shooter should demand that 6.5(d) be implemented and see that the machine indeed passes the calibration checks.

As I'm learning about this, it seems that the athletes have the right to demand the machines are in calibration and are operating as required.

Am I naive?
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

My daughter participated in the Ft Benning World Cup and had her sweater tested pre-competition. A standard KT sweater with a VERY thin Under Armour T shirt underneath would not pass. She was one of the ladies who were down to their bra underneath her shooting sweater. The problem area was the ribbed part up around the shoulders. The elbow pads were close as well, but the T shirt she was using was short sleeved.

There were quite a few DSQ over this issue, including some of the top level shooters. I don't have a lot of sympathy for them though. There was a lot of talk going around that they were testing sweaters and equipment control was open anytime to get a check done. Tom Tamas who was serving as the US Team coach did a great job going around and talking to all the US Team, advising them to go get tested. If the other countries team coach did not do the same, they should have.

The best I could tell, the rules were followed. It's just ISSF has not been testing sweaters for a while I guess. This is first match, international or US that I have seen undergarment thickness tested. I think it just caught a lot people by surprise. Me included. I was really surprised when the KT sweater and thin Under Armour did not pass.
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Paul's question on Monday about the long bra did not get a serious answer. But unless there is some restriction I can see a return to whale bone corsets for women.
Abi

Post by Abi »

umm...corsets are restrictive, uncomfortable, and hinder breathing. As a female I see no reason I would want to attempt to wear one under a shooting coat. That's just not realistic.

As for sweaters I guess I'm glad I don't shoot in one! Too hot in the South for all that.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Abi my comment on whale bone corsets was of course facetious but the history of sports is that someone will find a way to exploit any loophole in the rules to gain an advantage. Then the rule making body changes the rules.

In the 50s rifle shooters shot with cloth coats with only elbow and shoulder pads. Then came the heavy coats legal now only for NRA highpower. They were replaced by light coats which provided no support. Which morphed into today's heavy canvas coats with multiple restrictions. I have no doubt that there will be some restriction placed on women's garments because I have faith in the ability of shooters to find an edge.

As to the heat and sweaters, from the late 60s to the early 80s the team trials were held in Phoenix in June with temps regularly over 110. No one said, "it's too hot to wear my sweat shirts today". Then it was usually 2 sweatshirts and the leather coat. I have no idea how it is that no one had a heat stroke. I am not saying it was worse then than now, but just that athletes will find a way to win within the rules and conditions presented to them.