I'm looking to buy a 10m rifle and I don't know what to get.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ketchup

I'm looking to buy a 10m rifle and I don't know what to get.

Post by Ketchup »

Hey, I'm looking to buy a 10m rifle and and I don't know where to start. I shoot with one of those wooden club FWBs from the stone ages and I'm looking for an upgrade. I have to order online since I can't find a store locally so I need help deciding what to get.

I've seen a FWB 800x in person and it's incredibly epic looking so I might get that but buying a rifle solely based on looks is stupid I guess. I see lots of olympians using the Walther Anatomic Expert LG400 so that also might be a good choice.

As you've probably already deduced, I don't know shit. So could someone please explain to me the differences of the the main ones? (LG300, LG400 FWB 800, 9001, 8001, etc)

Thanks
PatrickS916

Re: I'm looking to buy a 10m rifle and I don't know what to

Post by PatrickS916 »

I use an FWB 800X, and to me at least, its one of the more comfortable rifles to shoot. It is very adjustable, which can be good and bad, but so are most of the other rifles you listed. I personally like the FWB because of the way the action opens, and how adjustable the gun is. I was not a big fan of the Anschutz action which open sideways, and I just wasn't comfortable with them in general. Many people like Walthers, and they are adjustable just as much as the FWBs. Don't rule out other brands like Steyr or Pardini either. Both have been used at the highest level of shooting I believe. The Pardini rifles are relatively new but so far they seem pretty good. The whole thing about air rifles is that they will all shoot amazing groups, but you just need to have one you are comfortable with and like a lot. Its really down to preference, so if you can get your hands on some rifles, its would be the best way to make a choice. There is another thread with suggestions on here as well.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49022

You can also PM me if you have any questions too.
abinok

Post by abinok »

Hey keychup, where are you located?
Andre

Post by Andre »

Last edited by Andre on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

Andre wrote:I don't mean to be rude, but if you look on the first 3 pages of the "Olympic rifle" section you will find these links. All very similar to your question...

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49022

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48823

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48863

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48373
No offence taken. Thanks for linking them. Apparently I really suck at finding the treads I need
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

abinok wrote:Hey keychup, where are you located?
A place with absolutely zero air rifle store. The best prices I found were at www.euroshooting.eu so I'll probably order from there.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

PatrickS916 wrote:I use an FWB 800X, and to me at least, its one of the more comfortable rifles to shoot. It is very adjustable, which can be good and bad, but so are most of the other rifles you listed. I personally like the FWB because of the way the action opens, and how adjustable the gun is. I was not a big fan of the Anschutz action which open sideways, and I just wasn't comfortable with them in general. Many people like Walthers, and they are adjustable just as much as the FWBs. Don't rule out other brands like Steyr or Pardini either. Both have been used at the highest level of shooting I believe. The Pardini rifles are relatively new but so far they seem pretty good. The whole thing about air rifles is that they will all shoot amazing groups, but you just need to have one you are comfortable with and like a lot. Its really down to preference, so if you can get your hands on some rifles, its would be the best way to make a choice. There is another thread with suggestions on here as well.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49022

You can also PM me if you have any questions too.
Thanks for the link! I'm getting the sense that it's all very personal. I think I'll also probably got with the 800x.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ketchup wrote:
A place with absolutely zero air rifle store. The best prices I found were at http://www.euroshooting.eu so I'll probably order from there.
I suspect that the question may really have been "What country are you in".

It always helps to have that sort of information in your profile.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

David Levene wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
A place with absolutely zero air rifle store. The best prices I found were at http://www.euroshooting.eu so I'll probably order from there.
I suspect that the question may really have been "What country are you in".

It always helps to have that sort of information in your profile.
Oh ok. I'm living in Tehran.
Andre

Post by Andre »

There are three rifles in the 800 lineup, the X, ALU, and the Universal. The universal has a wood stock, probably very much like what your shooting currently. It might help ease the transition, going from a wood stock to a full aluminum one is a big change. I actually really like the feel of the universals. You will see some of those in the world cups, too.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I was told by my old coach that depending on the climate where you live, a wood stock might be more comfortable. A metal stock will get HOT or COLD depending on the ambient temperature. And that could make handling the rifle more difficult. Granted the foregrip, pistol grip and cheekrest are wood, so you are not contacting metal when in position. But getting into and out of position...

I don't know how it is with the air rifles, but I definitely remember the day when I could not hold my 45 because it had gotten TOO HOT to hold. In that kind of temp, as much as I like the Colt 45, I would switch to a polymer pistol.