Relation between eye relief and rear aperture size

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KennyB

Re: Relation between eye relief and rear aperture size

Post by KennyB »

Dennis, I agree completely. Having some fine adjustment on the cheekpiece so that you can get a consistent head position and cheek pressure is highly desirable. Looking at the SCATT trace when I'm (fractionally) shifting my head position, you can see the POA moving from the bull to the 9 ring - so any variation in pressure during the release will move the shot fall (possibly drastically). One more reason to practice your follow-through.

I'm not sure whether it's impact on recoil is a factor but that's a separate discussion and just my current thinking.

I was discussing aiming process with a 3P shooter last week and in particular the pre-aiming technique that is used in the standing position (and all the other positions as it transpires). So I've been experimenting with it for prone - I can't look OVER my sights but I can locate the bottom of the foresight tunnel in the top (12 o'clock) of the peephole. If I then bring my head straight down onto the cheekpiece everything lines up and is clear and sharp. Early indications are promising...

As far as 9's go - we went to Dortmund in March to shoot 50m indoors and the surprising thing was the number of shots that - if you were shooting outdoors - you might ascribe to the wind...

I'm very flattered (and a bit disturbed) that anyone should think of me as particularly skilled - I know I still have a lot to learn and probably always will. For me there's a parallel with being a musician (which I am) - being a virtuoso is all well and good but being able to play the notes, be on time and turn up sober goes an awfully long way. Most of it just comes from being committed enough to put in the time, effort and money.

Regards,
Ken.