getting more serious about rimfire 3p

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dupe34

getting more serious about rimfire 3p

Post by dupe34 »

I'm looking at getting more serious in rimfire 3p. Need advice on a a good gun. Anschutz is what I want but willing to listen to any advice. In the anschutz what is better 1903 or 1907? I know the 54 vs 64 debate. I'm also 6'2 and a bigger person so I don't know if 1903 will be big enough. Thanks in advance. Chris
HWN1011

Re: getting more serious about rimfire 3p

Post by HWN1011 »

If you are thinking of doing 3p the 1903 is out straight away. Not enough adjustment for 3p.
The 1907 also not ideal but would be fine if you had it with the 1918 precise or 1914 walnut stock. But then you might as well buy a 1913. There is not really a cheap way into 3p you need a rifle with lots of adjustments if you are serious about 3p.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

It would depend on how serious you want to be? What is your current rifle?

As noted above, serious 3-P shooters opt for very fancy rifles with multi-adjustable stocks to adapt the rifle perfectly for each position. Some will even have separate buttplates, cheekpieces, and sights for each position to allow for quick changeovers. However these rifles are expensive, and require access to coaching/instruction to make best use of the adjustments; for the serious shooter the expense is a necessary long term investment, but for someone who is less serious it can be daunting.

The 1903 won't get you to the next Olympics, but it can serve as a good starter on the way, and would be a big step up from a sporter. While the butt and cheekpeice can be lengthened or raised to fit a larger frame, it is likely to be rather too light for a 6'2" adult, particularly in prone. A 1907 isn't much larger or heavier, but it can be upgraded much more easily if the competition bug bites and you want to get really serious; there are many 1907 compatible aluminium stocks, but none for the 1903.

As an alternative, have you considered a used rifle? This is a very good way to stretch your budget if you don't want to jump straight in with a top of the range model.
dupe34

Post by dupe34 »

I'm past my Olympic days but would someday like to be competitive in local and regional matches. I shoot a modified savage right now. I don't mind used just don't know where to look for them. I just really enjoy 3position and would like to see how good I could get. I
Andre

Post by Andre »

Caution, personal opinions ahead!

I own and shoot a 1907 in a 1914 stock. I would highly recommend it, as it has the better 54 match action and 5018 trigger. The standard 1914 has a heavier bull barrel, but mine weighs 13 pounds as-is, so keep that in mind.

The 1903.....gee where do I start. Too light, has a odd trigger, smaller 64 action, "Standard rifle" adjustments, MUCH more limited than a regular match rifle. Doesn't even come with a hook butt plate.

1907.......better than the 1903, but nowhere near the 1914. Personally the fore end is too deep for my liking, but other than that it's a pretty decent gun. 54 action, 5018 trigger.

If I were looking in the used market, I'd be looking for a 1913 Super-Match. Nice heavy stock, 54 action, 5018 trigger, but a little old-school. Matt Emmons used to shoot one If I'm not mistaken.

Don't forget about the 52 and 40x's too!

Andre
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Andre,

the Winchester and Remington rifles might be OK, if you can find one in a 3-Position stock (althought he Freeland International type looks awful heavy). The standard factory stocks were very basic prone only designs, with long straight butts, and no adjustment for fit.

Emmons shot a 2013, in the wood stock at the Lahti World Championships, and Athens Olympics, but in the 2313 alu stock thereafter.

Dupe,

do you have access to a coach or instructor? If you do not, then a fancy stock like a 1913 will make for a very steep learning curve.