number of refills from scuba tank

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

number of refills from scuba tank

Post by Ltdave »

not enough specific terms to get a decent return on the search so....

out of a full scuba tank (80ci) how many refills can one expect for a standard Anschutz removable cylinder?

just curious because weve got a tank at our club and will be filling it and then ill have some place to start "counting" fill ups so we dont get short before an event that we need it for...
Rover

Re: number of refills from scuba tank

Post by Rover »

No hope of a reply.

Buy a manometer to fit the SCUBA tank, they're not that spendy.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

It depends on when you refill. I think a typical cylinder is 250cc. The best solution is a SCBA tank that fills to 4300 or 4500 psi. You can get around 30 full fills to 3000psi from a refill level of 1500 with a nominal 4300psi fill. At that point you are at the starting point (3000 psi) of a scuba tank. An 88 cu ft scba is 700 bucks or so.

http://airhog.com/A26_Fill_Calc.html
kilowhiskey

Post by kilowhiskey »

For practice and in-club use there's no harm in letting the big tank get down to less than 1500 psi/100 atmospheres, that gets you a lot more refills. Just have to hike back to the equipment room a little more often to refill the rifle's tank, maybe every 125 shots versus 200. Talking about most match rifles here with regulators, Crossman CH2009 is an exception.
Only time you **need** to be close to 200 atmospheres is when shooting a match with sighters and a final-and that's mostly to keep the loose nut behind the trigger from freaking out.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

well im thinking im pretty low since the tank wont open the check valve on a Crosman Challenger or Anschutz 8002...
justadude

Post by justadude »

How low you can be when you start a match will depend somewhat on the rifle.

With my FWB800 I get an idea of the level of my tank from the manometer on my cylinder after a fill.

I can safely start a match with 140 showing on my manometer, shoot sighters, 60 shot qualifier, more sighter and full 20 shot final and still be just above 100bar on my manometer.

Working numbers with a 80cuft tank filled to 200 bar and my FWB800 at one time I worked out about 13000 shots before I will have to get the tank refilled. So far, this seems to be a pretty reasonable number. Different guns and different comfort levels, your results may vary.

'Dude