How do Shooting Jackets Work?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JerryX

How do Shooting Jackets Work?

Post by JerryX »

In the case of 10M air rifle (always shot standing), how does a shooting jacket work? I've always heard that it increases stability, but I can't see how it does this. Is it accomplished by restricting the shooter's movement?
Tim S

Re: How do Shooting Jackets Work?

Post by Tim S »

For 10m and 50m Standing, the jacket does support the back, so there is less sway (at least when I've shot 10m). There are rules on how tight the jacket can be, and how stiff the material can be to prevent shooters being supported by an exoskeleton. The jacket also offers support to the lumbar area; some shooters will lean back slightly to get the rifle over the centre of gravity, which can cause back problems in later life.

In other ways, the non-slip surface on the elbow helps to keep that still.

For the Prone and kneeling positions the slight padding on the elbows makes life much more comfortable, and again the non-slip rubber reduces slippage. However the jacket's main function here is to support the sling, and transfer the load from the arm to the back. With no jacket, the sling has to be very tight around the arm to prevent it slipping down, which restricts circulation to the hand and can transfer a pulse to the rifle.
Last edited by Tim S on Fri May 15, 2015 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lil Stinkpot

Re: How do Shooting Jackets Work?

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

Everything Tim said.

Even though I only shoot prone, now that I have a jacket, I cannot see how I lived without one. For me the biggest benefit is stopping the sling from slipping and extra padding under the elbows.