Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Eagle Eye Diopter

Post by conradin »

What is an Eagle Eye diopter for?
tufty

Re: Eagle Eye Diopter

Post by tufty »

It's a magnifying lens,either 0.3 or 0.5 magnification,it fits on the front of your foresight,and basically makes your target look bigger
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Some older shooters use them when they have difficulty in seeing the foresight as clearly as they once could (even with prescription lenses). If the target is a little blurry, it can be easier to centre if it's larger.

For full-bore/palma shooters there is the additional benefit of making the target board number more visible, which reduces the chance of cross-shooting.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Oh and they are illegal under ISSF rules.

Alan
bernardwinston

Post by bernardwinston »

Well I guess they are not illegal since it can help the user a lot in making sure with his to shoot successfully.
Rover

Post by Rover »

????
Erud

Post by Erud »

bernardwinston wrote:Well I guess they are not illegal since it can help the user a lot in making sure with his to shoot successfully.
Well said.
conradin

Post by conradin »

So is it legal or illegal, ISSF vs NRA, smallbore vs Air rifle?
It sounds exactly like something I need, I have bad eyes, and even with my prescription shooting glasses I still have problems (usually adjusting my eye focusing between front sight and actual target, sometimes my target or my front sight will turn from a perfect circle to a oval shape, sometimes the target will "disappear" when I focus on the front sight).
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Illegal for ISSF competitions.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

conradin wrote:So is it legal or illegal, ISSF vs NRA, smallbore vs Air rifle?
It sounds exactly like something I need, I have bad eyes, and even with my prescription shooting glasses I still have problems (usually adjusting my eye focusing between front sight and actual target, sometimes my target or my front sight will turn from a perfect circle to a oval shape, sometimes the target will "disappear" when I focus on the front sight).
Vince,

as above it's illegal.

However an eagle eye isn't the answer to everything. An eagle eye is a simple magnifying lens; it makes the target look bigger. It does not alter the focus. If all you can see is a fuzzy blob, then with an eagle eye you will see a larger fuzzy blob.

It sounds as if your prescription is not quite right anymore.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Your front sight and target can't both be in focus unless you are very young. You can help yourself out by doing eye exercises, both for movement and focus. Look upwards as far as you can, till you can't move your eye up any further. Then start rolling your eye in a circle in a smooth movement while staying at the extent of your "travel". Feels odd at first but you get used to it and it becomes more comfortable. Focus exercises can be done while trying to focus between something close and something far, as fast as you can.