Riser Blocks and Spine Compression

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Andre

Riser Blocks and Spine Compression

Post by Andre »

I built some .700" high riser blocks for my FWB 700, as it has the zig-zag 3 position short "vario-risers" that didn't do much. Felt better immediately, my back didn't hurt at all after an international match and my head was in a better position, etc. Except....my scores took a plummet. Instead of shooting a mid 580 international I started shooting a mid 570, dipping into the 560's. I took them off today halfway through a match and the targets went up a few points each, however it is clear my spine is now more compressed without the risers. Painful, and surely not a good thing.

After the match this weekend, I am putting the blocks back on. Should I just learn to shoot with them or are there any rules of thumb I should know for tall risers?
mtncwru

Re: Riser Blocks and Spine Compression

Post by mtncwru »

First rule that comes to mind is ISSF rule 7.4.4.1(C) which covers sight height in air rifle:
"Distance from center of the front sight ring or top of post to center of bore either directly above or offset (except for those athletes firing from the right shoulder but using their left eye)."

In other words, the straightline distance from the point at the center of your front sight to the point at the center of your bore cannot be more than 60mm. This may or may not be an issue under other rule sets.

If you are shooting a painful standing position that is something that needs addressed IMMEDIATELY. Given the choice between immediately higher scores and having a working spine for the rest of your life, that should be an easy decision.

The other consideration here is setting expectations. Adding 18mm of sight height is going to change your position. While that might eventually be a change for the better, in the short term your scores will take a hit. Doesn't (necessarily) mean that your position is worse, it just means that it's different.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Mtn, Yes, I am still within legal height, actually have about 3/8" to go if I wanted, as I said those vario-risers are very short. I tried it with the blocks on and a very tight aperture, 3.6-3.7 with the rear iris further open. I just really have to work on trigger control to pull it off.

Some more practice later, hopefully I can pull off a 570 in the PTO....
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Im going to buck the trend.. If you made a change and dropped 10 to 15 points.. The change was bad, or in your case was good but caused another change in your position that was bad,that you need to figure out. I would have sombody take pics in both old and new.. Compare
Andre

Post by Andre »

redschietti wrote:Im going to buck the trend.. If you made a change and dropped 10 to 15 points.. The change was bad, or in your case was good but caused another change in your position that was bad,that you need to figure out. I would have sombody take pics in both old and new.. Compare
In the match I ended up shooting a 575, so it is coming back up.

I could hardly shoot a match without the blocks, I really had no option.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

Andre, stick with it. Skill are highly specific with little transfer. I am quite surprised you shot as well as you did with no practice on the new sights. You will soon be exceeding past scores with some practice.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

You can shoot good or you can feel good. Pick one.