Returning Shooter -- Gun Options

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JerryX

Returning Shooter -- Gun Options

Post by JerryX »

I'm returning to 10M air rifle shooting after a 20 year absence and I'd like to replace my old gun with something more modern.

I currently have an FWB 601, which is a single-stroke pneumatic. It's a nice gun, but I want a pre-charged pneumatic with more stock adjustment options.

What are the current state of the art 10M guns? Should I stick with FWB or should I consider something by Walther, Anschutz, or Steyr?

On a related note, I've noticed that all of the major competitions that I've watched on Youtube use electronic targets. Are these cost-prohibitive for a home user, or are there models available in a reasonable price range (USD$1000-2000)?
BigAl

Re: Returning Shooter -- Gun Options

Post by BigAl »

Personally I think the Walther LG400 is the best pick of the current guns, but FWB are also very good, as are the guns from Anschutz and Steyr. If you can possibly find somewhere that has several different manufacturers guns in stock that would probably help. Given that is unlikely, then a good club should at least give you the option of seeing a variety of guns, but all of the latest models would be unlikely.

If you consider $1000-2000 to be reasonable then you should be able to pick up a basic single user EST within the budget. That seems to be about what they start at. The only thing about an EST is that they are prone to damage from misplaced shots, I would not consider using an EST unless you can be sure that you are going to hold the black, even with a bad shot. If you hit the "white", although it won't damage the unit, you will need to replace the face card; which if you do it regularly will get a little expensive.

Alan
JerryX

Post by JerryX »

BigAl wrote:Personally I think the Walther LG400 is the best pick of the current guns,
Any particular model of the LG400? A quick Google search turns up several: Alutec Expert, Alutec Competition, Anatomic Expert, etc.
I would not consider using an EST unless you can be sure that you are going to hold the black, even with a bad shot. If you hit the "white", although it won't damage the unit, you will need to replace the face card; which if you do it regularly will get a little expensive.
After 20 years of not shooting, I'll be lucky to hold the white! Perhaps I need to practice a bit before I consider an EST.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Unless you can find an Anatomic for cheap, it will probably be out of your price range. The LG400 Alutec is the same as the Expert model, but with more basic and "crude" adjustments. If you shoot daily, your gonna want to get the Expert model if you can afford it.

There is the LG300 series also, felt an old LG300 Alutec and to me it felt better than any LG400 I've felt. (Seemed more dense, and FWB ish)

I guess the only advice I have is to try literally everything you have a chance to try. Anschutz, Walther, FWB, Steyr, Pardini etc. The feel between different brands is......astronomical.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

While you COULD pick up an electronic target system for just under $2000, you can get a SCATT USB for right about $1000 new (less if you're cruising the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here at the right time) and get a far better bang for your buck, no pun intended.

In terms of rifle, if you like the ergonomics of the FWB then you should be able to track down a used FWB 700, or even 800, at a reasonable price. The Walther LG300 and LG400 are both excellent as well. In terms of stocks on the Walther, I have never met anyone who did not ADORE the Anatomic (both in the Air and Smallbore worlds), assuming it's in your price range. Remember, too, you're going to need a SCUBA tank, fill adapter, etc., to go with it. You may also need to budget for a shooting suit, offhand stand, glasses, etc., to get back into the game.

You mention your budget for the e-target, but I didn't see a budget for your rifle. Any notion of what that is?
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I've not shot an Anatomic, just an Alutec (basic). I did not really take to the feel of the Anatomic. It just felt a bit odd. If you can afford the "better" Alutec version it will be a lot cheaper than buying the basic and upgrading. Thats assuming you want those particular items.

I have to say that thanks to a injury I gave up 3P in 92. So I hadn't shot standing since. When my daughter started shooting AR a couple of years ago she talked me into having a try with her gun (the Walther) shooting in the disabled class. After a couple of weeks it was like I hadn't had a twenty year break from the "standing" position. Last year she had me enter the SH1 class at the British Championships, I qualified for the final and finished 6th. So don't worry you should pick it back up pretty quick.

Alan
JerryX

Post by JerryX »

mtncwru wrote:You mention your budget for the e-target, but I didn't see a budget for your rifle. Any notion of what that is?
I have no limit for budget.
Andre

Post by Andre »

As far as filling, I fill my Feinwerkbau 700, Steyr LP10, Ceosman Challenger, and my future field target rifle with hand pumps. Its a workout but its free!
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

JerryX wrote:I have no limit for budget.
Are you looking to adopt a kid at heart? I don't eat much, I promise!
JerryX

Post by JerryX »

After a lot of research, I've gotten my shortlist down to the Walther LG400 Alutec Expert and the Feinwerkbau 800X.

Which of these brands has the best after sales support and service in the U.S.?
Andre

Post by Andre »

JerryX wrote:After a lot of research, I've gotten my shortlist down to the Walther LG400 Alutec Expert and the Feinwerkbau 800X.

Which of these brands has the best after sales support and service in the U.S.?

From what I have read, FWB has better support.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Both guns are used by top shooters to shoot winning scores. BUT they feel very different in position. I highly encourage you or anyone to actually pick up both guns, and shoot them if you can. The FWB feel very muzzle heavy, the walthers much more balanced. Sure you can add weights, but its nice to start with a gun you like! What you like probably is different than what I like.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

redschietti wrote:Both guns are used by top shooters to shoot winning scores. BUT they feel very different in position. I highly encourage you or anyone to actually pick up both guns, and shoot them if you can. The FWB feel very muzzle heavy, the walthers much more balanced. Sure you can add weights, but its nice to start with a gun you like! What you like probably is different than what I like.
+1 on this. If at all possible, try before you buy. From what I recall the triggers have a different feel as well; again, both excellent in terms of quality and adjustments, but different from one another.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

You might try asking the fine folks at Pilk Guns their opinions on them, before you purchase one. I believe they sell the Walthers, If you need an opinion on the FWB, give Larry Sawyer over at 10pt9.com a ring.
mszczyrek

Post by mszczyrek »

I shot various Walthers and FWB's You mendioned. Owned 2 of each, previously LG300 Expert, and currently Walther LG300 Anatomic. Just this weekend I got new PB of 607.6, and I'm a 33yo amateur - so the rifle cant be that bad.

As above, it would be best to give it a try - they do feel very different. As a general rule, I would say most people prefer Walther. It is also more suitable for smaller, lighter shooters. I can definitelly recomment Anatomic variant over the Expert. If You dont have problems with the budget, consider the newest LG 400 Electronic - it's supposed to be really good.

Regarding the electronic target - just get the Scatt.

Michał