Does anyone know of any barrel block prone stocks

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Muffo

Does anyone know of any barrel block prone stocks

Post by Muffo »

I would like to make both my small bore rifle and my fullbore (known to some of you as a palma rifle) adjustable. id like to get them as similar to shooting each other as possible. by the time i get 2 sets of everything and add my time in it would probably be cheaper to buy a new stock. but then i have only made one adjustable and i cant justify or really afford buying 2 new stocks.

then i came accross this
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek035.html

unfortunately they arent in production any more ad the owner retired.

does anyone know of any barrel block prone stocks that are around that you could use to shoot the same stock for both events
Peter_Scant

Re: Does anyone know of any barrel block prone stocks

Post by Peter_Scant »

Muffo wrote:I would like to make both my small bore rifle and my fullbore (known to some of you as a palma rifle) adjustable. id like to get them as similar to shooting each other as possible. by the time i get 2 sets of everything and add my time in it would probably be cheaper to buy a new stock. but then i have only made one adjustable and i cant justify or really afford buying 2 new stocks.

then i came accross this
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek035.html

unfortunately they arent in production any more ad the owner retired.

does anyone know of any barrel block prone stocks that are around that you could use to shoot the same stock for both events
I've got Mike Ross' aluminum tuner stock for an Anschutz 2013 action for sale in the Buy, Sell, Trade section. It is a barrel block setup so could be setup for fullbore.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

There is a possible downside to barrel blocks, the difference in barrel contour. Your 1411 is likely to be a straight cylinder, but your fullbore rifle will be contoured. Would the same barrel blocks be capable of holding securely these two different contours? A better solution might be to use an adaptor block, like the Anschutz round to square, although depending on what action your fullbore rifle has, this may not be possible. V-Block bedding might work though.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Tim S wrote:There is a possible downside to barrel blocks, the difference in barrel contour. Your 1411 is likely to be a straight cylinder, but your fullbore rifle will be contoured. Would the same barrel blocks be capable of holding securely these two different contours? A better solution might be to use an adaptor block, like the Anschutz round to square, although depending on what action your fullbore rifle has, this may not be possible. V-Block bedding might work though.
I use an australian made fullbore action. so i wont get a stock from outside australia to do it. the only option i have seen is

http://www.hps-tr.com/products/target-rifles-stocks/

i handled this stock and i cant say i like the erganomics one little bit. plus its hugely expensive. my fullbore rifle uses a barrel adapter to change barrels. originally the bolt locked into the barrel. this leaves me with 1.5 inches of 1.3 inch diameter and then 1.5 inches of 1.25 inch diameter before it tapers. i feel as tho this small step down should be able to be machined into the barrel block. then have a sleeve machined for the the 1411
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I've not handled the convertible stock, but I do have the Gemini stocks that it's derived from. Both balance well, and can be adjusted to fit a wide variety of body shapes. I wouldn't pick the thumb-over grip on the HPS stock, but fullbore shooters seem to prefer that (at least over here).

If you are looking for cheap, then the cheapest is to adapt your existing stocks, carving away wood, and adding material until they fit properly.

Is Donald Brookes still making his alu stocks?
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Tim S wrote:I've not handled the convertible stock, but I do have the Gemini stocks that it's derived from. Both balance well, and can be adjusted to fit a wide variety of body shapes. I wouldn't pick the thumb-over grip on the HPS stock, but fullbore shooters seem to prefer that (at least over here).

If you are looking for cheap, then the cheapest is to adapt your existing stocks, carving away wood, and adding material until they fit properly.

Is Donald Brookes still making his alu stocks?
its the thumb over grip that i found very uncomfortable. it is way worse than a conventional wood thumb over grip.

im not necessarily looking for the cheapest option but to spend 3k on a stock that i dont like is really pushing it. I could probably get something custom made that both barreled actions could go in for less if i cant find something in current production that
only need small mods
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I wouldn't pick that grip either. From memory the grip is bolted onto the frame, so you might be able to replace the panels with something more comfortable, but it could be an expensive gamble.

Have you asked around at your club? As you want an Australian made stock, rather than the German/Swiss designs that are more common for smallbore, local knowledge seems important.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

yeah. i have without much success. most people in the 2 clubs im in either shoot 1 or the other. theres one guy who has that hps stock but using a different action.
surprisingly it doesnt seem very common where i am for people to shoot both. in fact its not very common for people to shoot either. they all shoot benchrest and f class.

it just seems to me like my training time would cross over if i was using an identical position using the same stock for both. then the only difference would be trigger weight and recoil
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

I shoot both and I think you will find it more common in the colder climates where they shoot fullbore in summer and smallbore indoors in winter when it too cold outside. Often they have two rifles with the same or similar stock geometry.

Tube stocks may be one option as there are available for both smallbore and fullbore actions.

Alternatively, any smallbore stock designed for a square bottom action can have an adapter made for another action. I've seen pictures of a barnard P in a G+E RSIII stock and a panda in an Anschutz precise stock.

Which action do you use in fullbore?
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I use an omark action. its an old australian made action. they arent in production anymore and struggle a little in 308 with really hot loads but im using 223 and its brilliantly accurate. anything i got would probably have to be modified to fit an omark. i only know of 1 aloy stock made for an omark
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

I know of that action.

One approach is to get an adapter made like the Anschutz square to round action adapter for the Omark, then you can use a precise stock.
http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... 6b908e84e6
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I have seen an Omark (well actually I think it was whatever they were before Omark) action fitted in a Walther GX1 stock (an ex Malcolm Cooper one he used for 300m) and it fits nicely. So I would think that the idea of having an adapter made up to fit the action to an Anschutz 20 series inlet stock may work well. If your smallbore rifle is an Anschutz then you would be ready to go with that without any special measures being necessary.

Alan
tufty

Post by tufty »

I believe HPS in the UK make one,you buy one stock and different insert block to fit your different actions
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

hps do make a convertible stock byt i dont like the erganomics of it at all.

i think i will go down the 20 series rout and use an adapter block for each action.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I found the solution. i just bought a barnard in a barrel block stock. now il just put my anschutz into the same stock