Basic Questions about Standing Position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jephthai

Basic Questions about Standing Position

Post by jephthai »

I have been an F-class shooter for several years, so I'm not new to marksmanship sports. That said, I'm getting more interested in position shooting, and it seems like the opposite end of the spectrum to me! I picked up a Daisy Avanti 853CM, and I'm having a lot of fun shooting at 10m in my back yard.

I don't really have access to any local instruction, and I have a basic question about where I put my left arm when in the standing position.

I've read that I should rest my left elbow on my left hip-bone. I am able to do this, but when I twist my hips enough to make it work I feel lots of muscular tension trying to do so. I noticed that if I rest my left arm sort of "along my ribs", but not quite touching my hip bone, it seems much more natural and stable. I wobble a lot less, anyway.

I'm curious whether this is acceptable form, or if it will be a bad habit that will cause me problems later on?

Thanks for any guidance! Lurking on this forum has already helped me tremendously, and it looks like a great online community.
Shooter

Re: Basic Questions about Standing Position

Post by Shooter »

That is a good place for your left arm. Go up to the line, get a good stance, rest the left arm where it falls, balance the rifle on your fist, and have at it. I may know of someone in your area, if you will let me know where you are. Email me at bawilli@comcast.net and I will see what I can find. Don in Oregon
BigAl

Re: Basic Questions about Standing Position

Post by BigAl »

The ideal is with the elbow on the hip bone, reality is unless you are a woman, it will be pretty near impossible to achieve. Not even all women can actually achieve this either, but usually they are likely to get closer.

Alan