Smallbore programs within driving distance of St. Louis

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Telecomtodd

Smallbore programs within driving distance of St. Louis

Post by Telecomtodd »

I've moved to St. Louis and have not been able to find a smallbore program or matches near me. Anyone have information about any programs within driving distance?

I joined a club that professed to have a smallbore program to only find out they are using nearly antique rifles with open sights and no slings. The nine youth in the program have fun shooting, especially when the single bull target is replaced with a squirrel picture on an old garage sale picket. Not so surprising that they have never had a youth progress past Marksman in the last 20 years. It's quite a story.

I've found another club that actually has high power matches, but smallbore is left to bench rest shooting. A visit to that beautiful range was fun, but until I showed them a business card showing I'm a certified instructor and coach they thought I was pulling their legs about smallbore position shooting.

I may have to start a one-man program. LOL
patriot

Re: Smallbore programs within driving distance of St. Louis

Post by patriot »

Memphis is 4 hours south. We have monthly 1600's (third Saturday) from March through October, but this May we will be at the Blue Grass in Lexington.

Mark
beye

Post by beye »

Next weekend at Marshall, MO (Apr 25-26). Contact Harold Miederhoff ; haroldm@tranquility.net. Also May 23-24 Highland, IL (closer to you); D. Tjaden, snickerssadie@hotmail.com. Find complete listings of NRA matches: NRA.org, competitive shooting, Shooting Sports magazine and then click on listing of all tournaments, select your type of match for locations and dates.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Thanks for that. I had looked but not found anything relatively close - but Highland is only about an hour away, thanks for that. Marshall is nearly 3 hours away.

There's a college almost within walking distance of my place that has a top-level shotgun team. Trying to make contacts there to see if they have any interest in rifle.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

I shoot with Piasa in Alton. http://piasaclub.com/
It is an indoor 50 ft range. Smallbore rifle is usually on Tuesday nights in the winter, but I've heard that a few people keep doing it through the summer. Once you join, you have 24/7 access to the range. We hosted a 4P sectional in March.
The only 'local' matches I have been able to find are there, Highland, Marshall, and Bloomington. I almost drove to Louisville for an Air Rifle sectional, but a snow storm killed that plan.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

You already have the names of people to call concerning the outdoor matches. Bucksnort does have a 3P match in September. Harold Miederhof runs that. There have been indoor 3P matches in Alton and Highland during the winter but the fellow who ran them moved to Idaho. If you were interested enough to help run the indoor matches, I think that we could get them going again. Lindenwood probably would consider an air rifle/smallbore team but you would have to be the coach. Mike Barron mbarron@theenterpriselawgroup.com.