Compensator on Rifles?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bpscCheney

Compensator on Rifles?

Post by bpscCheney »

I was under the impression that using a compensator on a rifle was illegal under rule 7.4.1.5 but in the 3P finals there was a shooter with a bloop tube that I would essentially call a compensator. My question is is it actually a compensator? If it is how was it legal?
Attachments
Compensator-compressed.jpg
Andre

Re: Compensator on Rifles?

Post by Andre »

Since it's perforated on the bottom also, and the large ID of it, I doubt it will work as a compensator. Or maybe the slots don't break through to the inside at all.

If you can't handle the recoil of a .22 in a 13 pound gun, your probably doing something wrong.
Last edited by Andre on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rmca

Post by rmca »

It doesn't need to be a compensator... That extension tube is clearly perforated.

7.4.1.5 Barrels and extension tubes must not be perforated in any way. Compensators and muzzle brakes on rifles are prohibited. Any construction or device inside the barrel or tubes, other than rifling and chambering for the cartridge or pellet, is prohibited.

The only way I can think off for that to be legal, is if the barrel ends flush with the front of the tube (no extension). That might be there just for the weight... (not likely)
I can't tell more from that picture alone.
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

It appears to me that the "holes and slots" aren't full through. They probably either drilled all the way through and filled with epoxy, or they make partial cuts and used paint or something like that. If they were all the way through, I am positive ISSF would have caught that, and the areas of confusion wouldn't be jet black.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Good time to take the picture, with Emmons having a 10.9 on the board....
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

ISSF may not be all that interested in enforcing "old" rules. Only the new ones. Oops ... <sarcasm off>

Just heard that the "respectful request" to pick up your junk in the final has turned into a green card? All for (non-existent) TV.

Compensators look cool on TV. Oops again ... <sarcasm off>