Resources for mastering the kneeling position?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jenrick

Resources for mastering the kneeling position?

Post by jenrick »

I recently got into smallbore rifle and am having a heck of time getting any stability with kneeling. My rifle background is from NRA High Power Service Rifle, which is standing-sitting-prone. I can assume a stable kneeling position, but once I check the front sight it's only barely better than standing. Can anyone recommend any good resources that discuss the finer points of the kneeling position?

Cheers,

-Jenrick
bberg7794

Re: Resources for mastering the kneeling position?

Post by bberg7794 »

Both Position Rifle Shooting and The New Position Rifle Shooting by Bill Pullum and Frank Hanenkrat do an excellent job of describing the variations of the kneeling position.

I also know a very experienced competitor/coach who emphasizes that shooting pants help with stability in the kneeling position.

I am looking forward to hearing some comments on this topic as well.

Brian
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

I have both books so there is no need to buy them. Borrow them from me. I also have the largest library of shooting sports info ink private hands in the country and it is open to anyone, anywhere. If you want more info, send me an email along with your name and address and I will get it off asap. my email is: bawilli@comcast.net Don in Oregon
Andre

Post by Andre »

MEC - Ways of the Rifle 2009.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Three ideas and they cost nothing.

1. Read Pullam and Hanenkrat's book.
2. Go to the range and shoot kneeling until you can't walk and do it again tomorrow.
3. If you live in Central Texas go see the Bashams. If they can't get you into a kneeling no one can. There web site is:

http://mentalmanagement.com/

The thing about learning kneeling is, it is very technical and hard to learn but once you do you have a big advantage. But then in about 10 years you will need to have one or both scoped to clean out the lose cartilage and your 3 p days are over.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Shooter - Don, thanks so much for the offer. Email will be going out shortly.

I've been playing around with my position a decent bit, and found that one of the major issues I was having was no kneeling roll. It was putting way too much pressure on my knee to sit on my foot without one. With one, I can settle into a decent kneeling position in relative (so it only hurts some, not a lot) comfort.

gwsb - Thanks for the tip on Bashams, I may give him a call at some point.

-Jenrick
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Ways of the Rifle. A decent kneeling roll, good legal boots, and decent trousers. Keeling is one position where you realy do need to have good kit to help you do well. You also need to be careful that the kit/position is within the rules.

Alan