bizarre observation from world cup changwon 2015

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan1s

bizarre observation from world cup changwon 2015

Post by Jordan1s »

I thought this was an interesting observation(and perhaps something worth copying?) from the mens final yesterday. A left handed Anschutz 7002 Universal sight canted upside-down to allow for pre-aiming. Probably one of the most bizarre solutions I have seen in a while.

Andre

Re: bizarre observation from world cup changwon 2015

Post by Andre »

That is a RH canting sight. Not sure it can even tilt that much without modification....
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Andre is correct on both counts: right handed, and modified to allow that much tilt. Interesting idea, though.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

MEC make a low profile sight for this very reason!
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

And how much does MEC charge for that low-profile sight? :-)
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

WTF? What is pre aiming. And what is the idea behind this?
Andre

Post by Andre »

gwsb wrote:WTF? What is pre aiming. And what is the idea behind this?
If you notice some shooters hold their rifles for a few seconds before putting their head down on the cheekpiece. They sometimes center up the front sight on the black while looking above the rear sight, to get an idea of hold pattern. That's my guess anyway.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Andre wrote:
If you notice some shooters hold their rifles for a few seconds before putting their head down on the cheekpiece. They sometimes center up the front sight on the black while looking above the rear sight, to get an idea of hold pattern. That's my guess anyway.
Pretty much exactly right.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Andre wrote:
Final adjustment to obtain the NPA?
Andre

Post by Andre »

conradin wrote:
Andre wrote:
Final adjustment to obtain the NPA?
Yes, or making sure it's even between shots. A slightly different or offset hand position can cause the gun to point slightly left or right even if the body is in exactly the same place.
atomicbrh

Post by atomicbrh »

I always thought a good reason for the pre-aim in the shot sequence was to make sure we were on our own target and did not cross fire on someone else's target. Maybe not a problem in the newer, larger facilities but still a potential disaster in the older club level facilities using paper targets and with little distance between firing points.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Anyone can crossfire atomic. In 2004 in Athens in the 3p Olympic match the Olympic Championship and gold medal changed because the shooter in first, crossfired on his last finals shot and went from Champion to 8th. And in the same match the shooter who took the silver would have had the gold if he had not shot 41 shots in kneeling and eaten a 2 pt penalty.
Last edited by gwsb on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patriot

Post by patriot »

One year at the Blue-Grass the ole f... next to me introduced himself with a "Don't cross fire on me". The last match on Sunday he cross-fired. Karma has a sense of humor.

Mark
conradin

Post by conradin »

gwsb wrote:Anyone can crossfire atomic. In 2004 in Athens in the 3p Olympic match the Olympic Championship and gold medal changed because the shooter in first, crossfired on his last finals shot and went from Champion to 8th. And in the same match the shooter who took the silver would have had the gold if he had not shot 41 shots in kneeling and eaten a 2 pt penalty.
Yeah, but he won a wife...