lots of match options

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

lots of match options

Post by Ltdave »

our sportsmans association is slowly gearing up for smallbore and air rifle matches. getting the range gear and we picked up an Orion system...

it seems the kids in our competition division have shot USAS, CMP and NRA smallbore and air rifle matches...

3x20, 3x10, 3x40, 4x10, 4x20 and 60 shot offhand (or 40 for the girls, SOMETIMES)...

how in the world am i to know which matches go together? ive looked at the score sheets from the different matches and obviously NRA matches are not combined with CMP but the only thing i could possibly hold right now is a conventional prone match...

i do NOT have an A-17 targets on hand for the Orion (10m air rifle and USAS/50 targets) because id rather not shoot on those targets...

can someone point me in the right direction as to how to combine some matches into a tournament? id LIKE an air rifle and smallbore combination but even "all air" and "all smallbore" as well...

thanks
jhmartin

Re: lots of match options

Post by jhmartin »

It's easier to combine an NRA Conventional or Metric smallbore with an NRA International air.

Combine the USAS metric smallbore 50m or 50ft with a USAS Air. I always allow air rifle gals to shoot 60 shots, but ONLY count 40 for the official score. They should record the 60 shot scores and save them if they are looking at collegiate (NCAA) opportunities.

If you can do it a CMP 3-P air and a Rimfire Sporter match can be shot. You CAN get reduced 50ft targets for the smallbore portion.

I'd try and keep the rule books together NRA, USAS, CMP for the match so that they know ist's an NRA match, or a USAS match or a CMP match.

The Orion 10m air and 50ft smallbore targets are International (USAS-metric). They also have A-50 & A-51 for the 50m and 50yd reductions of the 300m target.

They also do have an A-17 50 ft 12 bull gallery target.
http://www.orionscoringsystem.com/orion/TargetList.aspx

Prices are pretty cheap these days for the targets... Just ordered a bunch and they arrived in about 3 days.
Soupy44

Re: lots of match options

Post by Soupy44 »

Some popular combos:

If running a USAS event:
Men: 3x40 SB, 60 prone SB, 60 air
Women: 3x20 SB, 60 prone SB, 40 air standing
Could tack on a 3x20 air for both men and women if you feel ambitious

CMP Air Rifle:
3x20 air with 60 air standing

NRA Match:
Go to town, host everything. Just dependent on how many match fees you want to deal with.

If you want to compress the schedule a bit, you can run a 60/40/40 or 60/20/20 (combine the prone into the 3P in air, SB, or both, but this changes the ability to shoot national records). I guess with the new shooting order that would be 40/60/40 or 20/60/20.

If you have multiple ranges, keep in mind the length of each event. With multiple ranges, keeping the shot counts close is a good idea (not shooting 3x40 SB, 3ish hours, and 40 air, 1 hour). If running the events back to back on the same range, that in some ways helps in running multiple events, but could be a long day for the shooters.

Check out the Ole Mill Invitational. They run tons of events and add in a Super Agg for folks that shoot everything.