Moisture in barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bryan996

Moisture in barrel

Post by Bryan996 »

I'm looking to shed some light on this only because it intrigues me!

I own a 1913. I shot RWS special match or R50. I always clean the barrel after shooting and run an oiled patch down before storage. I then dry patch before I shoot again. So my question is when I've finished shooting I first run a VFG intensive felt down the barrel and it always comes out wet! Only about a drops worth but definitely water by the way it soaks into target paper. I've asked around the club and everyone else's patches seem to come out dry. So why is my barrel accumulating moisture? And is it from the combustion of the power or moisture in the air? One member suggested that full bore rifle barrels can 'sweat' but I'm not sure I buy this on .22 rf.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't get any ill effects it just makes me sure I've cleaned it before storage to prevent corrosion.

Thank
Bryan
Andre

Re: Moisture in barrel

Post by Andre »

Does R50 use Tallow (not wax) bullet lube? If so, and the barrel is warm, it might just be residual bullet lube that's melted. Shot Lapua Midas+ at Perry, only about 100-105F but there were puddles of Tallow lube in the bottom of my ammo tray. Try a bullet that uses wax.

Edit: Talo to Tallow, autocorrect changed it and I didn't notice.
Last edited by Andre on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Talo? I think you mean tallow, AKA animal fat.

Bryan,

I'd hazard a guess that it's just a by product of the propellant burning, although most priming is "wet".
patriot

Post by patriot »

I just ordered a case of R50 from Carl at Champion Shooters based on his test results. I'll will let you know if I see anything different from Eley or Lapua in the bore. Has anyone tested their recent shipment?

Mark
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I'd look at the storage area... do you store horizontal or vertical? ...
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure its not storage related (stored vertically) as I dry patch the barrel before shooting. I'm shooting two differant batches of ammo, matched r50 for comps and special match for training. Ive attached a photo of the first felt after shooting.

thanks
Attachments
IMG_2572.PNG
IMG_2572.PNG (92.15 KiB) Viewed 904 times
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Well looking at that picture it's pretty much identical to what I get from my Anschutz 1813, no matter what ammunition I use. Over the years I've used Lapua Midas, Eley Tenex and Match (by far Match is the most common) some RWS R50 and even some RWS Geco for practice. They all produce pretty much similar looking results from a patch after shooting.

Alan