Which LG400 model?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JC2021

Which LG400 model?

Post by JC2021 »

I am looking to upgrade to a Walther LG400 from my Hammerli AR20. I'm leaning towards the competition model simply based on price. I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of these about if I will be happy with this or if I should save $ another year to get the fancier expert model. (I was also considering the Anschutz 8002 because I like how they look, but haven't seen/held one in person so scared to drop that much dough on an unknown. Same with the FWB800 for sale on the forum here.)
Thanks y'all!
Andre

Re: Which LG400 model?

Post by Andre »

Upgrade from the AR20 ASAP.

A friend has a LG400 comp/alutec, she is small so the buttplate and cheekpiece carriers had to be chopped and modified, as they run into eachother. It's still not right, and there is no more that can be chopped! If you go for the comp/alutec, make sure you are at least 5'-5".
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

6' tall Amazon here, so no worries.
conradin

Post by conradin »

If not because I am obsessed with electronic trigger, I would have taken the anatomic if I wanted to upgrade. The only reason why I upgrade was I wanted an electronic...so it was between Steyr Challenge-e and the LG400e. Otherwise I would be totally happy with the Anschutz 8001.
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

I don't feel the need to pay extra for the e features.
The anatomic is SO expensive so I can't decide between waiting long enough to save more $$ or just get what I can afford now. I'm not competing at this time, maybe in the future if I get comfy. :D It's just for fun for me and a good excuse to follow my Dad to the range with my own gear.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

My daughter is shooting a LG400 Alutec Basic. I also shoot it occasionally, as a disabled shooter. It has just about everything you could reasonably want in a rifle. Don't forget that there is not really anything stopping you adding the more adjustable parts to the basic rifle as you develop as a shooter. This was Rosie's first AR of her own but she had been regularly shooting a club LG300XT previously in the laminated stock for a little over a year. She actually started with a club LGR SSP and then moved to a FWB P700 Universal before moving up to the LG300. She was lucky in the club was able to allocate the LG300 for her exclusive use so that she could take it home to dry fire etc. The club is very supportive of all the junior shooters.

I had a look at the Anatomic in the showroom at the NSRA @ Bisley. I had a good fondle of it, but was unable to actually shoot it. I have to say that I actually prefer the feel of Rosie's Alutec. She does have a slightly slimmer (width wise) forend support than standard on her rifle. Although I am a big six footer I don't have huge hands. The trigger on the Walther is actually quite a bit better than the Anschutz 5018 on my 1813, which I used to think was about the best you could get.

Alan
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

Thank you Alan!!!
Andre

Post by Andre »

The difference between the Alutec and Anatomic is.....astronomical. Feel them both if you can.
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

I don't get to feel either, no shops. I was asking between the competition and alutec, not anatomical due to price.
Andre

Post by Andre »

JC2021 wrote:I don't get to feel either, no shops. I was asking between the competition and alutec, not anatomical due to price.
My bad, glanced over the name and figured I'd bring it up. You could put anatomic furniture on say the Alutec, weight it down and make it feel more like the Anatomic.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have the "expert model", and I really appreciate the adjustable forend. I am really happy with the components, and really never had to upgrade components. From the factory they are light weight, so you will be adding weights. In my opinion, the trigger on the LG400 is much more refined than the 8002/9003 trigger, and I have owned both.
LennyLames

Post by LennyLames »

I had upgraded from the Hammerli AR20 to the Walther LG400. I went with the Alutec Competition. For comparison, I suggest downloading the LG400 manual. There's only 1 manual for 4 LG400 variants, what they refer to as Basic (sometimes referred to in some stores as Economy), Competition, Expert, Anatomic Expert.

There's even a table on page 54 (English language section) that compares the 4 variants. Through the rest of the manual, you can decipher what kinds of adjustments can be made, and how they're made. For instance, the Insight-Out rear sight has windage knobs on both sides and each click changes point of impact by 0.4 mm, whereas the standard rear sight has a coarser 0.6 mm per click.

As someone alluded to, you can retrofit equipment to the other variants. However, if you end up retrofitting too much, you might end up spending more than if you had just bought the higher variants in the first place.

Another example is the adjustment for the fore-end elevation (page 50 of the manual). Basic and Competition have discrete vertical adjustments (using inserts in 1 cm increments) and cannot be adjusted laterally, while Expert and Anatomic have infinite vertical adjustments and can also be moved laterally. The fine adjustment in fore-end was not important to me; if I had needed a 0.5 cm change in fore-end elevation (I don't), I could instead adjust my sight elevation (I added sight risers), butt plate, cheek piece, grip, trigger, and still end up in the same position. Your own needs may vary.