Changing butt plate -- again

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Lil Stinkpot

Changing butt plate -- again

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

I'm swapping stocks on my Anscutz match 54, and I have the opportunity to choose a better butt plate for the new one. What is a good choice? I've been thinking of getting the basic 4759 to start with.

I'm still really new to shooting, still learning, well, everything, so I don't think I need the super fancy butt plate with all the widgits attached. I am sticking with conventional prone, not 3P just yet.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muffo

Re: Changing butt my plate

Post by Muffo »

its like 100 more to get all the widgets attached. why not just buy the best and never have to upgrade. what stock are you upgrading too
Lil Stinkpot

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

Well, some might argue (a lot) that it's not an upgrade at all, some even call it a downgrade, but I'm switching from a supermatch stock (what was that part number? 1411? 1413??) to a 1907. I never could get that big stock, built seemingly for gorillas, to fit me. LoP is about the only thing that's right, everything else requires some major woodwork.

The stock is lightly used, from another TT user. It would be about $200 or so more for a fancier butt plate. If it's a better idea, sure, I just want to be SURE.

This is hopefully the last upgrade for this antique. I love it to death, but parts will only be harder to find for it that fit, so I want to set it up to last me a while, and then stop buying stuff for it and save up for a more modern match 54. That's the idea, anyways.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Before you fix on a specific plate, maybe check with the suppliers which ones will fit your 1907 stock. Some older 1907 stocks were not made to take alternative buttplates, and the rear surface isn't vertical, which makes it more difficult to mount a new butt.
Lil Stinkpot

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

I'll have the new stock in about a week or so. I'll have a looksie at what is already installed, and what needs to be done. The rear looks pretty vertical to me, I have photos. I'm not buying anything, though, until I know what's under the hood, so to speak.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If it's one of the newer types, with a metal in-out carrier, you should be OK.

It's probably a good idea to try the standard butt before committing to replace it. You may find that it meets your needs.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

you could always sell your old stock to cover the difference. I know someone who might be looking for a better stock ;)
Lil Stinkpot

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

I'll be keeping the supermatch for a while longer, but will be selling the original and the silhouette stocks later.

I'll let you folks know what I find. It has been suggested that I start simple, so will likely (OK definitely) go that route.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I agree with the above posts on spending a little more and getting a hook buttplate. From my own experience, I have an Anschutz 4759 buttplate on my air rifle. While I was never a huge fan of its shape in prone (when I used to shoot 3 position air rifle) my largest issue was its lack of vertical adjuatment in prone, it just never get like it went high enough for me. While a hook is not vital for prone, I personally find it helpful for me in prone. Plus, if you do decide to venture into three position Smallbore, you will have the buttplate you need. There are plenty of other aftermarket options other than the Anschutz 4765 Buttplate for a hook buttplate, although mine works well for me.
Lil Stinkpot

Re: Changing butt plate -- again

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

I'm back. :blush:

The butt plate I am supposed to get is even simpler than I imagined, just a flat-ish rubber plate. I am going back to basics to try and I travel some issues I've been having.

The problem that I've been having is trying to make sense of the Anscutz numbering system, and find the correct part. I thought I found it at Campion Shooters, but the one that came in is 4" too short and has a tighter radius on the inside. It won't fit.

What is the correct part number for a flat-ish rubber butt plate to fit an older 1907 stock? I am completely lost. Looking it up online only leads me to what they sell now, the aluminum space figer setup.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

According to the parts list on the Anschutz website, you want a 4820-U4 guide plate and 4820-U1 buttplate. You might just try asking for a rubber buttplate from a 1990s 1907.
Lil Stinkpot

Post by Lil Stinkpot »

Thanks, Tim. A hasty iGlitch search yielded no dice, but I'm not surprised. I'll do it again at home, and get better results. I'll also ask the shop I got it from.

Who's the fellow on here that sells parts? I saw his name come up before in other threads, "call this guy."

Anyone need a 4709 butt plate? Otherwise it's going back to the store. Just thought I'd offer.