Junior Air Rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

alfabill

Junior Air Rifles

Post by alfabill »

What are the options for a Junior Air Rifle other than the FWB 700?

I've looked at Champions Choice and they show an Anschutz 8001 but other than the model number I can not find any information on the differences between it and the 8002, and that it is a Junior rifle.

Walther doesn't show a Junior Rifle (at least not on the Champions Choice page).

I see there are two of the FWB 700 rifles for sale now on here.

My daughter is looking to get into Air Rifle but she has yet to hit her next growth spurt.
triggerhappy

Re: Junior Air Rifles

Post by triggerhappy »

the cmp has a couple junior air rifles (anschutz, walther, fwb) and don't forget to check with pilk guns.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Hammerli AR20
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

AirArms S400 MPR Precision, check their web site
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I would try looking for a second hand Walther LG300XT Junior. It's the same basic rifle as the normal LG300 but with a shorter air tube, and a nicely proportioned junior sized stock. I do know one smaller statured lady shooter who has had an LG400 Action, with short aluminium air tube fitted in to her old 300 junior stock. An LG 400 Alutec basic with the short Aluminium tube might also be a good bet for a junior, as the stock comes in pretty short, although you would really want the small sized hand grip not the medium. I guess it really comes down to if you know that she is going to want to shoot long term or if it is just a passing phase. I don't know if this is any more informative but here is a link to a UK retailer for the Anschutz 8001: http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/an ... Path=88_27.

Personally although I really like Air Arms rifles and own one I would not consider anything built on the S200 or S400 as suitable for 10m precision shooting. The triggers are just nowhere close to good enough, even after being worked on by an expert. Sporter class only really. I have looked at the AR 20, and was not really very impressed. The plastic stock unit seemed to have just a little flex in it. Although modern plastics have got very good, I just don't think there is enough material in that design to make up for not using aluminium. I also understand that the AR20 is built by Umarex, and is a rifle at the top end of their range, not bottom end of the range rifle, built by one of the top factories.

Do you not have a club that shoots 10m AR anywhere near you? That would probably be the best start that your daughter could get. Starting with a club rifle is so much easier, at least then you won't be buying a rifle until you know that she will be carrying on with shooting. She should also be able to get some coaching at a club.

Alan
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

The Pardini air rifle is also worth looking at. It is not a junior rifle, but it's design allows it to be adjusted as short as Jr guns. With it, you would not need to change rifles as she grows in size and skill.
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors
Rover

Post by Rover »

Conradin has a Hammerli AR20 for sale cheap in the Classifieds.
abrasivereshaping

Post by abrasivereshaping »

What I liked about the FWB 700 Jr. was:
*Simple adjustability, not over complicated, which is perfect for a new shooter working on strengthing their fundamentals and positions.

*The center of balance was perfect for a shorter stature shooter. Some of the other rifles my son picked up were really nose heavy, which compromised his position.

*FWB 700 Jr. weighs about 7.3lbs. Others weighed 9+. Those extra couple lbs. made a difference whether or not they made it through a 60 rd offhand plus sighters.

*Cost of repairs on the FWB is cheaper and easier than other brands, as I was told by others who had their other brand rifles serviced.

*I have seen several small statured shooters shoot 580+ 60 offhand with this rifle, so accuracy is not an issue.

Just my .02 hope it helps.
arjaycruz100

Post by arjaycruz100 »

check pyramidair they sale Hammerli AR20 too
Ask me about my zombie weapon
yana

Post by yana »

If it doesnt have to be pcp:
Tau 200s are light. Tau 200 junior even more so.
They cán be converted to pcp if you really want
AlfaProj rifle. Only have to upgrade the sightrail to 11mm
AA MPR isnt a real 10m rifle. Its an mpr. Its not really good at anything..;)
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I second the walther jr. Also don't overlook a used FWB P70Jr. The p70Jrs our club has still drive tacks.
Andre

Post by Andre »

My club uses mainly p70 juniors (not universals), and they are a great rifle for a beginner. Albeit light, have muzzle jump, and the shorter sight radius it's a good gun. The limited hard-to-reach adjustments promote learning to shoot and not going nuts adjusting. Make it fit with your coach, then shoot.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

A few comments about junior rifles based on my experience.
- I own and shoot a FWB P70-Jr, so this from my personal experience.

- The pistol grip of the ambi stock of the P70-jr is NOT comfortable, to me. To me, it is neither RH nor LH, but an uncomfortable compromise. The dedicated RH pistol grip of an Anschutz 2002-CA was MUCH more comfortable to use. So be aware of the type of pistol grip on the rifle you are considering; ambi, RH or LH. Your daughter may adjust to an ambi stock better than me.

- The LoP of my P70-Jr is only 1/2 inch less than the LoP of a full size Anschutz 2002-CA, both with standard butt plates. Because the LoP is so close, if she can fit the full size rifle (for LoP), that might be a good/better choice. Because I am short (5'-4"), the LoP was a critical fit. My AR coach told me that, if he could have adjust the LoP on my P70-Jr to be shorter (for me) he would have. Having said this, I can fit a full size Anschutz 2002-CA, with the LoP adjusted to it's shortest. But then I don't have and wear a shooting jacket, which because of it's bulk would require a shorter LoP than what I shoot with. You need to compare the specs (jr vs. full size), or do an actual measurement, which is what I did. My coach told me, at the national level, the full sized rifles are modified (shortened) to fit the small shooters.

- My P70-Jr did not come with the muzzle weights that the full size P70 did. I ended up putting weights on the muzzle, to help tame my wobble, and I plan to add more weight up front.

- my AR coach adjusted my rifle for me, and I left it alone. He knew what he was doing, I did and still do not. He told me that a new shooter can get totally confused with the many adjustments that are possible on the metal stock rifles. Too many places to make adjustments, and not knowing the interaction and effects of them, and how a rifle should fit vs. how it feels.

- As much as I do NOT like a heavy rifle (because of a bad back), I have to admit that a heavier (full size) rifle is easier to shoot well than my lighter junior rifle. My AR coach told me "weight is your friend." What the weight of the heavier rifle does is to help dampen my wobbles. Said in reverse, when I shoot a light weight sportster rifle, I wobble a LOT more than my heavier target rifles.

- re TAU200-junior.
- - Be careful on stock of the TAU200-junior. There are/were both wood and resin stock versions, and the balance of the two are significantly different. I prefer the balance and feel of the wood stock.
- - I use riser blocks under my sights to get them up to a level that my coach and I want, to keep my head upright. The front sight on the TAU200-jr that I saw is fixed, and cannot be raised. I do not know if they have a replacement front sight that can be raised.
- - I do not know the specs for the TAU sights; if interchangeable front apertures and rear irises are available and easily purchased. I swap front apertures depending on how bad or good I am shooting on a particular day.
- - I honestly do not know how competitive the TAU200-junior is, and if it would be a significant disadvantage when compared to the other rifles. It might be a good first rifle, but I do not know how far she can go with it.

As much as possible, try to get some actual hands on feel of the different rifles. At the tier 1 level, they will all out shoot most shooters, so it comes down to the ergronomics/fit of the rifle to the shooter that makes the difference.
Triracer34

Post by Triracer34 »

I have a JR. Anschutz 2002 forsale. Contact me if if interested. Tx
yana

Post by yana »

The 200 Sr isnt heavy either. There is a newer version, the MK200, and ofcourse the new mk300 pcp. But I thought there wasnt a Jr version of the 300.
A Tau 200 will shoot tiny ragged holes, nearly fitting a 4.5mm pellet at 10m all day long. What else do you need ;)
Inserts for the Tau 200s are standard Anschutz size, so no problem.

The AlfaProj is amazing as well. As accurate as the Tau. I've balanced mine carefully, its now VERY easy to hold still. And thats amazing, considering its lightweight! As said, you do need to change sights. Tau's ergo's are better. Trigger too, but the Alfa Proj is amazingly quiet. Like dry firing. Much underrated rifle imo