pistol ammo in a small bore rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Muffo

pistol ammo in a small bore rifle?

Post by Muffo »

has anyone ever tried pistol ammo in a small bore rifle. im going to sell some high quality pistol ammo at low quality price for a friend who cant use it and i will be needing ammo for my rifle when i can get it shooting straight
crankythunder

Re: pistol ammo in a small bore rifle?

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Moffo:

SK pistol match special is very accurate in my Winchester 52c. It is the most accurate ammo in that price range for me.

Regards,
Crankster
patriot

Post by patriot »

Some of it tends to be a bit faster and therefore would not do as well in the wind.

Mark
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

patriot wrote:Some of it tends to be a bit faster and therefore would not do as well in the wind.

Mark
dont you mean slower
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Some of the best ammo that I have ever tested through my gun was Tenex Pistol. The only difference between Tenex and Tenex Pistol is the bullet shape to allow for smooth cycling in a rapid fire pistol. I cannot speak about other brands.
And there is a window in velocity where wind drift is lowest (~1050). When the bullet is going faster it drifts more (to a point) and when it is going slower it drifts more. But seriously if you just get ammo that shoots small groups, don't worry about it.
Matt
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

When I was at the Lapua Test center, Darrell mentioned that the main difference between the pistol and rifle ammos was the burn rate of the powder. He mentioned noticing a trend that the shorter barreled rifles tended towards liking the pistols ammos more, possibly for that reason.

But as Matt said, whatever shoots the best, go for that. There's often no rhyme or reason to figuring out what your rifle likes, or at least no pattern that anyone has found so far. When I tested, mine liked it fine, but it liked other stuff better, so I bought that.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Muffo wrote:
patriot wrote:Some of it tends to be a bit faster and therefore would not do as well in the wind.

Mark
dont you mean slower
Drag increases with the square of the velocity - a little more speed yields a lot more drag (wind drift). There comes a point where the shorter flight time exposed to the wind doesn't offset the increased drag. At 50 yards it may be small, at 100 where wind is a larger factor it is noticeable, but at 200 it is significant.

Mark
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Our junior program tests quite a bit of donor ammo. Our experience is that none of the ammo formulated primarily for reliability in automatics will clean the 50m International Target (.4" 10-ring) off the bench except the Norma TAC-22, which was a real surprise as some of this ammo is truly awful when shot from a heavy target rifle. ;)
Bob
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Bob Smalser wrote:Our junior program tests quite a bit of donor ammo. Our experience is that none of the ammo formulated primarily for reliability in automatics will clean the 50m International Target (.4" 10-ring) off the bench except the Norma TAC-22, which was a real surprise as some of this ammo is truly awful when shot from a heavy target rifle. ;)
if it was donated was it high quality pistol ammo it cheap stuff. my question mainly related to rws super pistol 250
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Muffo wrote:
Bob Smalser wrote:Our junior program tests quite a bit of donor ammo. Our experience is that none of the ammo formulated primarily for reliability in automatics will clean the 50m International Target (.4" 10-ring) off the bench except the Norma TAC-22, which was a real surprise as some of this ammo is truly awful when shot from a heavy target rifle. ;)
if it was donated was it high quality pistol ammo it cheap stuff. my question mainly related to rws super pistol 250
Never tried the RWS version, but Federal and Winchester were notably bad out of rifles.

Bob
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Bob Smalser wrote:
Muffo wrote:
Never tried the RWS version, but Federal and Winchester were notably bad out of rifles.

ive never heard of anything shooting well with federal auto match. its good value for club shooters that are shioting 5 inch groups at 25m and the last winchester 22lr round that was any good that i know of was winchester expert that i think was discontinued 20 years ago. federal gold medal isnt bad tho
Andre

Post by Andre »

Federal Gold Medal is comparable to SK in my rifle. Iron sights, 50m.

kameljock

Post by kameljock »

I just shot a 1200 match in Albq. NM using SK Pistol Special Match in my short barrel annie. I dropped 6 points caused by me not the ammo.
be in the moment
corning

Post by corning »

Years ago (30+), I shot some "blue box" Eley pistol ammunition instead of Club, which was in short supply, at the time. It shot well. The only thing I really remember about the pistol ammo was that it was a greasier lube than the rifle ammo.

John
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

i havent got the rws yet but so far i have tried black match pistol that was horrible and sk pistol match which was very close to the best groups i have shot and it seems that the pistol ammo actually has less wind drift but then it also has a loger lock time due to lower velocity