air rifle target trolley system

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

air rifle target trolley system

Post by conradin »

Does anyone know if the target retrieving system, using hand cranked trolley, is strong enough to stand on its own if they cannot be drilled or bolt onto the ground? Or should I figure out something that will weigh it down?
GaryN

Re: air rifle target trolley system

Post by GaryN »

The one that I used at the San Mateo range was attached to a post dropped into a hole cemented in the ground at the target end, and the crank assembly was clamped to the top of the bench at the shooter end. The cord was quite tight, so I can see the need to secure both ends.

I don't know how it would behave if the cord had a significant sag.
Maybe the return line, not having the weight of the target carrier, might rise and interfere with the movement of the carrier. Just guessing since it has been several years since I used that target carrier.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

ideally you are going to mount the target end securely on the wall. At the other end it will need to be securely fitted to the bench top, which will also normally have to be secured to the ground. I have seen a workmate type bench used, although it was "held" in place by a couple of 25KG boat anchor weights hanging from it. I will also note that the person was using an electric system, rather than hand cranked, although it shouldn't make too much difference. The club I shoot at uses all electric changers, and it is actually very important to keep the tension in the cords just right. Too tight or loose will tend to cause the system to jam.

Alan
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

At my club, if the cords are slack the target will tip over at about halfway out.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I've shot air in the ballroom of a hotel before, so it can be done without the use of permanent structures.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Big Al got it exactly right.

There, I've said something good about someone.