Bolt shim?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cousin Jack

Bolt shim?

Post by Cousin Jack »

I have an older 18XX Anschutz prone gun with a Hart Barrel that was installed by Karl Kenyon..... this shim (sorry for the poor photo) was on the bolt, in front of that cylinder with the bolt handle attached. I assume it was a head space deal... the rifle shoots accurately without it, but it sometimes doesn't cock without forcibly slamming the bolt forward..... my question: The shim has a crack in it, and I was wondering if I should replace it.... do these things come in kits, somewhere, or was it one-off knockoff by Karl Kenyon? The barrel can't be headspaced normally because the action has been threaded. Any information appreciated.

salar600

Re: Bolt shim?

Post by salar600 »

I don't know if you could buy it but I have made some in the past from brass sheet and regular scissors. Quite simple as you have an example in hand.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

salar600 wrote:I don't know if you could buy it but I have made some in the past from brass sheet and regular scissors. Quite simple as you have an example in hand.

I'll be darned....guess I could.... or at least my wife could: she has the hands of a surgeon and the eyes of an eagle..... Photocopy the original.... tape it on the sheet for a pattern....
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If the bolt won't cock, that should not be anything to do with headspace; tight headspace may make the bolt harder to close, but that's all. If the trigger is an Anschutz, I'd want to check that the trigger is 1) correct (those for older models won't cock properly), and 2) that it's timed properly. The trigger housing is made to allow some fore-aft play so the sear can be placed correctly against the firing pin. If the trigger is too far forwards it may not be catching correctly.

Insufficient sear engagement could be another cause.
joel

Post by joel »

My 2 cents, but that looks like a spring to me. You might not want to make that out of brass or any other material besides spring steel. Go to a good hardware store and try to match it or look online at McMaster-Carr or similar.

HTH

Joel
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

If you can get yourself to a match where the Anschutz service team are going to be they should be able to correct the headspace without the need of a shim. I know that they sorted the bolt on my old (1964 proof)1411. For relatively small amounts of excessive headspace adjustment they seem to use a very simple set of tools to do the job. A 5lb lump hammer and a small anvil. They just cold hammer the bolt body to lengthen it a little. Major adjustments are usually made by replacing the bolt handle collar, they come in different lengths.

Alan
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

joel wrote:My 2 cents, but that looks like a spring to me. You might not want to make that out of brass or any other material besides spring steel. Go to a good hardware store and try to match it or look online at McMaster-Carr or similar.

HTH

Joel
It is not a spring it is a shim that is used to reduce the headspace, they come in varying thickness sizes

I have a selection of them myself.

You need to check your headspace by using a set of headspace gauges to determine what shim you need, also check if there is any crap on the breech face and in the ejection slots as with the shim out it should be easier to close the bolt not more difficult.
Is there also a difference with other makes of ammunition.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I've located a source for the shims in the UK, and a very charitable gentlemen there is sending me a selection....for free.....
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Bleiker has usted shims to adjust head space in my son's Anschütz 2013.
Grünig&Elmiger has this shims in his 2015 catalog 0,06 - 0,08 y 0,1 mm thick.