How do I find a riflesmith?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cousin Jack

How do I find a riflesmith?

Post by Cousin Jack »

Is there a register or some such of competent competitive rifle gunsmiths? To rebarrel an Anschutz 54? I live in Washington State.
spektr

Re: How do I find a riflesmith?

Post by spektr »

Call Benchmark over in Arlington and see who they recommend to install their barells...
Theyknow the local guys
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

Chesebro rifles,
Mark is a great guy to work with and keeps a few benchmark barrels in stock just for those Anschutz rifles, I use a three grove he had in stock.

The websight isnt the best: http://www.chesebrorifles.com/

But its hard to argue with a rifle that shoots consistant 200x20's without selected ammunition, as a prone shooter I am very Pleased with his work. He has built my last three rifles and I plan to have him build my next two. Mark is located in California.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I would expect that any well maintained Anschutz or similar match rifle using modern good quality unselected match grade ammunition, say Eley Match (Black box) or equivalent should be inherently capable of shooting consistent 200-20X's on the US A23 type 50 yard target. To score an X on the A23 at 50 yards only requires a CtC group size of 0.613" or 1.1 MOA, as a total edge to edge group it's 0.836" or 1.6 MOA. It's about the same as required to score a ten on the ISSF (Olympic 50m target) which needs .633/856 at the slightly longer distance of 50m (54.7 yards).

That is of course inherent accuracy, in perfect conditions and without the skill of the shooter taken into consideration. There again that is what you are looking at when buying a rifle.

Alan
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Alan your analysis might be accurate if you were shooting indoors off a bench. If you are shooting prone outdoors off the shoulder however a 1.6 in 100 yd group is a consistent loser.

Lets start with the execution. It is hard to break a shot on smaller than a bullet hole. Not a .22 but the actual hole of about .20. That reduces the requirement to 1.4 if you can do that. The wind will add about .4-.6 in. Now we are down to 1.0-.8. MOA. Add in the instability of any lead bullet and the bottom line for a winning smallbore rifle is a group of about .4-.6 MOA.