Front Sight Lens Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Paul

Front Sight Lens Question

Post by Paul »

As I wanted to give it a try in our any sight smallbore prone matches, I bought a 1.5X foresight lens for my Centra DUO-Glass front tunnel. It's a 22mm. As I use a bloop tube, the distance between my front tunnel and my rear sight is about 41''.

Even when I crank up my front sight iris to its maximum (5.8mm !) I just can't get enough white around my bull. Is it because a 1.5X lens is too much ? Should I try a 1.3X ?

Thanks for your help !

Paul
Cumbrian

Re: Front Sight Lens Question

Post by Cumbrian »

Can't comment on the 0.3 lens idea, I'm afraid, but I can tell you that I tried something very similar recently - 22 mm Centra Vario and 0.5 lens on a standard Anschutz 1800 barrel with 8 inch extension tube - and found that I needed a 6.9 aperture, or something very close to that (I didn't have time to experiment very far), to get enough white to suit me. I was surprised at the effect another 8 inches had because normally I use an aperture in the 5.0 - 5.5 range, but of course those 8 inches are a fair percentage increase on the normal length between foresight and rearsight. I was using a Rightsight, which offers a much wider aperture with its 30mm Gehmann sight. You may need to invest in a standard Centra foresight with the appropriate size insert, which is annoying for those of us that have already shelled out for a Duo Vario.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Installing a lens in front of the iris requires a larger opening. The length of my bloop tube was determined by the largest opening of the largest Rightsight iris giving me the white I wanted. Would it help to install the lens on the shooter side of the sight?

Mark
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

It's interesting how different we are. I'm confortable using Centra fixed clear apertures at 5.2 and 5.4 with an 8" blooptube. Mike Barron
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

patriot wrote:Would it help to install the lens on the shooter side of the sight?

Mark
No it wouldn't . Either way the lens would be so close to the iris that the magnification would be near as dammit 1x so it shouldn't matter which side of the iris/element the lens is on - as far as the size of opening is concerned.

The target is all that's magnified.

Ken.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Ive tried target and shooter side of front sight and thought there was a significant difference
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

redschietti wrote:Ive tried target and shooter side of front sight and thought there was a significant difference
Can you elaborate on this, please? Which side gives the better magnification?