Wood vs. Aluminum Anschutz stocks - smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

fullfatboy

Wood vs. Aluminum Anschutz stocks - smallbore

Post by fullfatboy »

I noticed this year that Anschutz is no longer offering the 1913 or the 2013 with a wood stock. I am curious about any opinions regarding the benefits of wood vs. aluminum? Your preference for one vs. the other?
patriot

Re: Wood vs. Aluminum Anschutz stocks - smallbore

Post by patriot »

Some believe wood's ability to dampen vibrations gives it an accuracy advantage, but I haven't seen any proof. Some believe metal is less weather sensitive. Obviously metal stocks allow you to fit the rifle to your position vs. you having to fit the wood rifle, but you can drive yourself nuts adjusting the metal stock. I have both wood and aluminum 1913s, both shoot well. Technogeeks compliment me on the cool metal rifle, competitors the beautiful tiger walnut grain stock. You will have to try each to see what works for you. In the end it is the Indian and not the arrow.

Mark
Andre

Post by Andre »

One thing about wood stocks, they tend to stay warmer on cold days. They can also be modified without more expensive metalworking machinery; granted aluminum stocks do come with more adjustments, and clearance.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Andre wrote:One thing about wood stocks, they tend to stay warmer on cold days. They can also be modified without more expensive metalworking machinery; granted aluminum stocks do come with more adjustments, and clearance.
Although alu stocks have wood or plastic grip and cheekpiece, and the supporting hand is covered with a glove, so the prospect of cold metal on skin isn't that threatening. Wood stocks tend to need more modification because they are bulkier than metal.

Relevant to smallbores, metal stocks are harder to damage by over-tightening the bedding bolts, and the bedding won't be softened by exposure to solvent.

That said both types have been used to win at top level. The best stock us the one that fits the user, balances right, and feels right.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

i think the wood stock is so much more beautiful...

the aluminum is just to "terminator-ish" for me. glad i dont have to shoot one (my daughter will be though)...
justadude

Post by justadude »

The mechanical differences are covered but I can say as a veteran of 35 years before I started shooting a metal stock there is something more comfortable about hugging a piece of wood than a piece of aluminum.

I like Patriot'c comment about driving yourself nuts adjusting a metal stock.

While Tim S points out that we are supposedly insulated by the contact surfaces being wood or plastic and our clothing there is something personal where I would just rather shoot a wooden rifle. While my FWB 800 is clearly the better rifle, I would rather hold my old FWB 601.

I do notice that while Anschutz does not offer a wooden 1913 off the rack, a wooden 1913 stock is still available through their individual order program.

Just my 2 cents

Dude
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

My old 1913 had a warping problem. After removing the barrel and action I found it really wasn't free-floated to the action; about half the barrel was touching wood. And the wood was bare - not laquered or sealed.

A friend carefully machined out just enough wood to fully free-float the barrel and bedded the action. Then I sealed the interior under the barrel with polyurethane. What a tremendous difference. I sold that gun a few years ago when I moved from North Carolina and would buy it back in a New York minute.

I had a video on YouTube about this experience showing the issue.