2013 stock adjustments

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

phatom

2013 stock adjustments

Post by phatom »

Just upgraded to a 2013 Anschutz from an older Anschutz with no adjustments
what is the best way getting started in fitting this rifle to me.

Thanks
phatom
patriot

Re: 2013 stock adjustments

Post by patriot »

Prone or 3P? Do you want to duplicate your old rifle position or take advantage of the new stock to improve your position?

Mark

http://www.mrra.org/Rifleman3.htm
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Mark makes a very good point. If you want to make full use of the 2013 stock, this will take time; thinking of prone, you will need to fine tune the butt and cheekpiece settings to properly fit your position.

Very roughly you can measure your old rifle from butt-handstop and translate this to the 2013. Normally the front of the grip will be roughly halfway between these, but this takes fine tuning to get the right tension against the right shoulder. You can then look at the height of the buttplate, and the height of the cheekpiece. The real fine tuning is in the sideways position of the butt, the angle of the hook, and the sideways position/angle of the cheekpiece that you need to get the butt placed in the shoulder where it won't move and gives least recoil movement, and puts the sights perfectly in front of your eye, and have your head supported.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Someone told me once that after you make SB master you will have to rebuild your position to advance. So two winters ago I studied "The Ways of the Rifle" then started over. It was painful; really painful like remaking a golf swing. A new aluminum stock will have a thinner forend than perhaps you are accustomed to shooting. I used a riser for a while to duplicate the wood stock depth, even with my very long arms, but a year ago I realized that if I dropped my left shoulder lower and extended the elbow out it was unnecessary. Another big variable was squareness to the line. It took a lot of experimenting to find what worked best for me. Finding the balance between no wobble and heart beat, straight up recoil, relaxed and repeatable pressures, position height and visibility that lasts, and no tension NPAs horizontal and vertical may take more than one trip to a range (and it has to hold up on other ranges with varying elevations too).

Mark