ACE lenses - for Champion Olympic shooting glasses

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

artandscience

ACE lenses - for Champion Olympic shooting glasses

Post by artandscience »

So, I'm looking at the various lenses available for my Champion Olympics. But I cannot find any information on what frequencies of the light spectrum they block.

I've got a yellow and a grey and was looking at the amethyst (purple) lenses. Apparently because of the rare metals used, they are stupid expensive (like $150 each).

Before I lay out the cash, I want to know what part of the frequency spectrum they block but I cannot find specifications anywhere.

Anyone know or have any information about this?

http://www.champion-brillen.ch/filterengneu.html

cheers,
Stefan
Seattle, WA
NRA High Master, mid-range
NRA High Master, long-range
Smallbore prone shooter
COBelties

Re: ACE lenses - for Champion Olympic shooting glasses

Post by COBelties »

Just for my own education, because I find this interesting, why go with colored lens's versus a clear lens and multi adjustable color rear iris? As a volunteer at some of the US major matches, I haven't really picked up on any multicolor lens's in Champion frames, but I do see a lot of clear shooting glasses with the multi colored rear adjustable iris, or front sight colors. Just curious, thanks.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

My optician suggested I use a tinted lens for two reasons:

1) There is only one lens/surface between your eye and the target, so there is less light lost.

2) Lenses get grubby. It's easier to clean glasses than the tiny filter in the iris.

Obviously if you like to switch between different colour filters this doesn't work, but I use a yellow filter/lens all the time.
artandscience

Post by artandscience »

Exactly what Tim said. I think the colored filters in the iris work fine in smallbore, but in fullbore - with the recoil of a .308 - it's a lot easier to muck up the iris and have it cease to function properly or knock the lens out of alignment (had that happen with a polarizing filter in the iris and it cost me the match win).

Every additional lens is something like a 10-12% reduction in available light. It's a big issue when you're trying to see well enough to hit a bull at 1000 yds with irons.

S.
NRA High Master, mid-range
NRA High Master, long-range
Smallbore prone shooter
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Thanks, I agree with higher power and longer distances. I was just confused on the Champion Olympic glasses reference since I mainly see those in 10meter air or 50m smallbore, I didnt know you were using them at long range distances with a .308. So I guess that was the disconnect!
Curlyjim

Post by Curlyjim »

Here's a link to a Cabela's page that describes the general uses of colored lenses in shooting glasses. This info might be more useful than knowing exactly what wavelengths are passed or blocked.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... 532383.uts

For info on wavelengths passed or blocked, you might try looking at technical info for colored photographic lens filters. These are often used in black and white photography to lighten or darken how certain colors are reproduced on black and white film. The exact color and intensity of the photo filters might not match the filters you are looking at, but you might find the area of the light spectrum affected. For example, yellow filters block blue light.

Regards,
Curlyjim