Weird problem with Scatt

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mmajora

Weird problem with Scatt

Post by mmajora »

Hello,

Could you guys please help me work this out:
Attached are two free rifle scatt files. While first one looks more or less ok, second (sjfr) is kinda weird. Please take a look at vertical lines curved at about -10 degrees. These were two scatt sessions one after another, device was restarted in between just in case. Scatt at 50m configuration.
e:
Like shots 5, 10, 11, 19, 20 and so on.
Attachments
JLfr 15-02-15 11-31-37.scatt
(272.85 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
SJFR 15-02-15 13-01-42.scatt
(302.81 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Ed Hall

Re: Weird problem with Scatt

Post by Ed Hall »

I don't have Scatt or the software to look at your files at the moment, so I may not be of real assistance, but since no one else has posted anything yet, I'll offer something.

I've had some oddities occur with my Rika, due to stray sunlight from a window. Is something similar a possibility?
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Was in on a bright sunny day? I had some weird traces that showed that noisy pattern, the traces improved as soon as the cloud came over.
Martin
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

SCATT can also be sensitive to heating vents, especially if they're running full blast because it's frigidly cold outside.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Looking at your files, I'm not seeing anything offhand that would have me thinking there's something wrong with your SCATT. A few questions, though:
1.) What is your lighting and heating setup in the room where the SCATT was being used?

2.) What type of flooring is in the room? Hardwood? Tile? Carpet?

3.) How far is the SCATT barrel sensor from the target?
mmajora

Post by mmajora »

Thank you all for input.

@1: There's no artifical heating. The room is a hall about 40 m long and 2 m width, then we have a downstairs (100 cm down I think, worth of notice: no windows, or better I would say no windows allowing for direct sunlight - and there were none from this side then), and next about 20 m long and 6 m width room. While hall has got windows from right side (window is 100 cm x 30 cm and placed well above 1m 60 cm height), the second room has similar windows placed on left side. No window is seen from line of fire. Artifical light: halogen type lamp 500 W power above the target (target is about 1m 20 cm from the floor, the lights - 2m, similar bulb 2m m on the left, some bulb about 10m behind.

@2: Floor is made of something like granite. Anyway, just before the stairs I put some carpet, and next landed in front of target.

@3: Sensor is mounted under the muzzle, as far as it can be.
Ed Hall wrote: I've had some oddities occur with my Rika, due to stray sunlight from a window. Is something similar a possibility?
I was considering this, but... However it's not possible for direct sunrays, it may be reflections from about anything - at least If I understand it correctly, if we do see something, there is something light involved and if light is involved, so infrared is.
My main problem is - had it just happen and that's like it will look? I did some reading about how Scatt doesn't like sun, but never saw live effects.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Those 500w halogens could be throwing enough heat to affect your SCATT. By my math, at least one of the bulbs is less than a meter away, and a 500w halogen throws out plenty of IR.

What is the distance from your barrel sensor to the target? And I should have asked this in the first place, but which model SCATT are you using? Standard USB? MX-02?

Awesome shooting on the SFJR file, btw. Wish I could hold like that.
GGibson

Post by GGibson »

I had similar problems until I covered the entire length of floor with towels or rugs to cut potential reflections. I also changed my spotlight to a LED spot that was shielded from view of the shooter. The light was placed about 4 feet away from the target, off to the side.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Is your Scatt a MX-02? If so, that discounts any interference from IR as the sensor is basically only a small camera.
mmajora

Post by mmajora »

Thank you all for replies.

The distance from sensor to target is 50 m.
The Scatt modell is Professional.

It is this hold what looks weird. I've got another session from today and 1 group looks similar, rest of them rather not (591, 622 decimal - attachment quota has been reached). But anyway, today's session is like more reliable and true than yesterday's one.
I think I'll try to put the frame before the target - it's target to be enlightened, not Scatt frame. Maybe this wil change something (and if yes - Mtncwru is right).
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Yeah, try moving your frame closer, more like 10m from the end of your barrel. You will need to adjust the height so it's in line with your sights and target. That may be easier to do with a second person; if you do, make DAMN sure that the rifle is unloaded. Typically when we need to have someone on their gun and a person downrange, the person downrange takes the rifle's bolt with them.

And as GGibson pointed out, make sure the entire length of the floor from sensor to SCATT frame is non-reflective: think towels, carpeting, etc.
mmajora

Post by mmajora »

Thank you all for input. I think the problem is solved (somehow). Attached are typical scatt prone session and scatt frame graphic.
If you look at scatt file, lines now are properly drawed, rounded etc. What has changed, is relation in height between target and IR diodes. It looks like (at least in this case) black dot should be in line with emitters. Back then, I'm sure it didn't.
Attachments
scattframe.gif
scattframe.gif (5.86 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
SJFR 11-03-15 19-56-00.scatt
(356.17 KiB) Downloaded 112 times