Premium match rifles for blind shooter. Help please!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

DaveAnkers

Premium match rifles for blind shooter. Help please!

Post by DaveAnkers »

Hi all, I am new to the forum and have not been shooting long. Many years ago I shot .22 small bore prone, then took up archery and then sailing. I then lost most of my eye sight and thanks to the Dorset Blind Association, I can shoot again using an acoustic scope mounted on a 10 metre match rifle.
The rifle I am currently using is a Walther LG30, with an ambidextrous grip, which I really do not like. Because I need to mount a scope on the rifle, any rifle with a lever which lifts upwards such as FWB700 is unsuitable. I have read a post dating back to 2006 relating to the Anschutz 9003 and the Steyr LG110. A few years have passed and I wonder how are these rifles rated now? I have been told of a rifle called Tesro, any good? suitable? Thanks in advance.
Out of sight, out of mind!
Shifty

Re: Premium match rifles for blind shooter. Help please!

Post by Shifty »

A friend of mine who's also a member of this forum has just taken delivery of a new Tesro air rifle. I had a very quick play and if I recall the loading mechanism swivels to the side but I could be wrong. I'll give him a nudge tomorrow and see if I can get him to send you a message.

All the best,
Lee
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The Anschutz 8002 & 8002S2 have a side swinging gate that can be mounted left or right.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The Steyr LG110 has a side swinging lever. This is a superb rifle with plenty of scope for adjustments of the butt and cheek piece.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

+1 for the styer lg110. Michael Whappels shoots one, he's the first blind shooter to go against sighted shooters in the uk, and very well he has done too!!!

The lg110 is side cocking and has a dovetail for the scope. Another plus is that it's pellet to loading tray rather than pellet to breach which makes loading easier.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

The Pardini GPR1 might also be worth a try. Although the lever looks to operate vertically it looks from the pictures that I have seen as if it is operated by pushing down on the lever with the thumb of the right hand (RH shooter).

Alan
DaveAnkers

Post by DaveAnkers »

Thanks for all your replies. I have recently shot the Anschutz 9003 S2 and I have to say it is not for me. It didn't feel right and wasn't as dead as I was expecting, and considering the cost of this rifle I have crossed it off my list.
Today I have been looking at Steyrs, the FT model unfortunately as the shop didn't have the match version of the LG110. It felt better than the 9003 and a lot cheaper to buy too! I am hoping to be able to try out some Steyr rifles at the blind national championships at the end of the month.
Hopefully before then I will have the opportunity to get my hands on some FWB match rifles to see how they feel, as I do not want to buy anything before I have tried out everything available. I want to buy one gun and stick with it. I don't have the money to keep changing or collecting guns like some I have seen on forums who list all their guns after their posts.
Out of sight, out of mind!