Anschutz 54 Front sight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Anschutz 54 Front sight

Post by conradin »

I have a problem with my Anschutz Super Match 54 Front sight. I want to not use the original old fashion front sight, but rather a new Gehmann sight. I purchased the M18 Gehmann but somehow it is not narrow enough to clamp on the front sight mount of the barrel. With a little push you can slip the entire Gehmann sight off the barrel.
I have not tried Centra.
Part of the reason why I want to use the Gehmann is that I like how its spirit level work. Anyone use a Gehmann front sight for the Anschutz 54 can tell me which model of front sight you use? Should I use the M22 instead?

The M18 was taken off from a Lothar Walther Crossbow, which uses Walther front sight mounting system. I don't know if it is the M18, or Gehmann simply does not have a front sight that works. Should I try Centra-MEC?
BigAl

Re: Anschutz 54 Front sight

Post by BigAl »

Although the rear rails are supposedly all the same for the German made target rifles the foresights are not. All of the manufacturers have specific and different sized front dovetails. Anschutz have two! pre 1989 and post (19/20xx models) that date. A Walther foresight will not fit an Anschutz rifle, or a FWB etc, no matter who made the unit or the size.

Alan
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Vince,

As Al said you need a tunnel with the right base. Be careful when you order, most tunnels sold for Anschutz rifles are for the 1913 base. Your rifle has a much deeper dovetail; you need a tunnel specifically for a Match 54 or 1400-1800 rifle.

You should be able to use a spirit level with the original tunnel. Gehmann make one that is held in by the clamp for the insert.

Yes you can use an M22 tunnel on your rifle (providing the base is correct). The centre will sit higher than an M18, so you will need to adjust the rearsight elevation to compensate.
Andre

Post by Andre »

If the front sight doesn't clamp down, I'd slip a piece of brass shim stock under one side of the dovetail to take up some room. Even a business card might work.

Never done it, but it might just work :)
conradin

Post by conradin »

I ended up having to use the sight risers from Gehmann, they clamp down well for both the front and the left on the base. Then I put my gehmann front tunnel on the front sight riser, works perfect; but the original Anschutz 54 diopter does not fit. Right now I am using an extra Winzeler 10M Match Crossbow diopter made by Feinwerkbau, while awaiting the delivery of a new Gehmann diopter.

Too bad I have so many Walther parts from my two Lothar Walther match crossbows but I cannot use them on my Anschutz 54. They just do not fit :(