Set Trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Set Trigger

Post by conradin »

Does anyone use set trigger (two triggers) system anymore in 50m and 300m?
Tim S

Re: Set Trigger

Post by Tim S »

Vince,

there are almost certainly some still around, but it's fairly safe to say that none are used in ISSF/Olympic smallbore competition. I don't think any smallbore rifles have been made with a set trigger since the 1970s; the Anschutz 1400 series 5039, and the Russian Strella and Mts12 were the last that come to mind, unless Tanner still make one. Every current rifle I can think of has a two-stage mechanism (mostly convertible to single stage). You might find more in 300m, but I think the big names, G&E, Keppeller and Bleiker, all use a two-stage mechanism.

Set triggers were popular back in the day because they offered a very secure but light release weight. At the time two-stage triggers were seen as a crude military thing, and single stage triggers were necessarily heavier for safety. However modern two-stage triggers like the Anschutz 5018, can safely be set very light (typically between 50g and 150g) and with a faster release than a set trigger (or so I'm told), so set triggers are now considered obsolete.
patriot

Post by patriot »

The break of the set trigger on my Marlin Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby from the late 1800's is every bit the equal of the latest Anschutz. As a collector friend said, "it will make your Anschutz trigger feel heavy". Like a well tuned Anschutz, untrained shooters can not control it.

Mark
Last edited by patriot on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Mark,

I can well beleive it. Many years ago I shot with a colleague's Strella smallbore; once I could remember to set the trigger, it was very pleasant to use. However I suspect that a two-stage is easier to produce, and can be adjusted as light as is practical for modern Prone/3-P shooting; the ISU's prohibition on set triggers for 50m and 300m standard rifle, may also have contributed, with manufacturers looking to improve conventiopnal designs, and shooters wanting to sue the same barrel/action for different events. I also have in mind that a conventional trigger requires less movement to use.
patriot

Post by patriot »

" I also have in mind that a conventional trigger requires less movement to use."

Yep, exactly the reason I set my Anschutz prone triggers up for single stage. If there isn't a minimum weight restriction as in service rifle why use a two stage and have to pull he trigger twice.

Mark
conradin

Post by conradin »

Is set trigger still legal in 300m 3P and prone and 50m 3P and prone men's competition? I know 300m standard rifle is prohibited.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Vince,

yes, set triggers ares still legal for 50m rifle and 300m Free/Sport rifle. Set triggers were prohibited for 50m Standard rifle, but that's no longer in the rule book. I take it you would like to try one?
joel

Post by joel »

I used to own a beautiful Mannlicher, Shonauer, Steyr, and Puch (sp on everything) that had a set trigger. It was a very nice rifle, but I believe that the set trigger was beneficial for hunters. They could use the trigger with one pull or activate the other one for an extremely light touch on the other. I had no thoughts of this being for target shooters, but mostly for hunting, of which I do not support BTW.

Joel