Honing/polishing trigger mechanisms

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Pheyden

Honing/polishing trigger mechanisms

Post by Pheyden »

I have read comments on several forums that trigger action can be improved by polishing. Has anyone ever considered using isotropic tumble polishing and then having the mechanism DLC coated? The polishing removes little (in the order of microns) and the DLC (diamond-like-coating) is only a few microns thick as well. If the two surfaces of the trigger contact interface were both treated this way the friction coefficint could be reduced by over 50%. Once done it would last a long time
Tim S

Re: Honing/polishing trigger mechanisms

Post by Tim S »

I've never heard of anyone polishing the surfaces of a modern match trigger; maybe as a repair if the sear has become worn, but ordinarily it should not be needed. I have heard of older match triggers being polished, but this was more to reduce the release weight below the designed limit. Was the conversation in relation to hunting rifles?
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

While a lot can be done to many service and hunting rifle triggers to improve them for precision use, the tolerances and refinement of match rifle triggers are generally far too fine to do anything to them other than keep them squeaky clean and in proper adjustment.

Bob
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Thanks for the info. The information that i read was apparently referring to earlier generation of air rifles.