Anschutz 54 'L" bolt

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Anschutz 54 'L" bolt

Post by conradin »

I feel embarrassed. When I got my An54 the packaging was not good so the bolt fell apart in a separate package. I managed to put it together. But as some of you recall, the bolt handle is a modified left. I look at the user manual and there are parts that simply do not exist on this set up. I simply do not know how to put the bolt in right now, it is very complex because of the under over lever. Also the user manual is not helpful, bringing up terms that describe a part that is never in the exploded diagram. The step by step is pretty much useless.

Is there a video somewhere that shows how to slip the bolt into an Anschutz 54? Much appreciated. If you are around the Bay Area, and upi walk me through, that would even be better. The reason being I want to know what should I do if I want to get the bolt out, clean, ad put it back in. The current set up has less parts than the normal right hand bolt, but it is still a headache.
Tim S

Re: Anschutz 54 'L" bolt

Post by Tim S »

Vince,

don't worry, this is a common issue.

To insert the bolt into the rifle it needs to be cocked. The easiest way to do this is to hold the bolt firmly in one hand, and lift the handle up with the other. You'll hear a click as the firing pin is cammed back, and you'll see the pin stick out the back.

The bolt is now ready to insert. Line up the nose with the receiver raceway, and nudge it in. If you hold in the spring-loaded catch on the LHS, the bolt will go in a bit easier. The bolt should now slide in, but if it sticks you need to turn it slightly so the nose lines up with the breech tray.

I suspect that your bolt is different to the manual because it's quite old, not because if's LH. Anschutz have made many small changes to the Match 54 bolt over the last 60 years, so you need to find the right manual. The additional parts you mention are probably the indicator pin and spring. Around 1965 Anschutz made the firing pin and the indicator pin at the back separate parts (and adding a second spring around the indicator pin). An older manual should be be less confusing.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
justadude

Re: Anschutz 54 'L" bolt

Post by justadude »

Also consider, that is not an L bolt, it is the traditional R bolt with a really long curved handle.

You may, in order to get your bolt in and out need to remove the action from the stock. This is a bit of a guess but because the handle slings under the action it may need to go further back than the handle will allow without hitting the stock.

There are two screws on the underneath, one usually accessed through an opening in the rail and the second on the front of the trigger guard that hold the action into the stock. For your vintage a thin head, slotted screwdriver is the necessary tool. When you tighten them back up, firm but not like you are trying to hold a bridge together. 45 inch/pounds of torque if you have a torque wrench and proper socket, (Note INCH pounds not foot pounds)

As mentioned, the release catch is on the LHS of the action, depressing that my help the bolt slide in or at least get started a little easier.

'Dude